Author Topic: Lucky to be writing this  (Read 2096 times)

Offline RDK

Lucky to be writing this
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:26:06 pm »
I’ve told you all how great I think this forum is and how much I have appreciated advice and encouragement.   We’ve been busy with the new season here at the farm and I had a recent accident that has really given us a lot to think about and be thankful for.  I have only told Matt about the bull attack to excuse myself from missing the gathering at Marshall.  A writer who gardens at our place wrote a story and interviewed us.  I thought I’d post it because what happened to me is about as raw-primitive as it gets and I am just about as lucky as anyone can be-in fact I am lucky beyond description.

Treasure every moment.-every moment is a gift!

http://olgabonfiglio.blogspot.com/2012/06/dairy-farmer-ron-klein-survives-water.html

BTW I started working with my bow exerciser the other day, am able to walk and get outside.  Lots of time to dive into the archives.  The dairy we sold our dairy water buffalo too has promised to send me the bull's horns when they are done using him for stud service. I want to mount them and hang my tattered shirt from them.

Best wishes, never give up.

Ron
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline Jimbob

Re: Lucky to be writing this
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:43:25 pm »
WOW, glad your ok!  You had someone looking after you that day!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:57:30 pm »
Holy cow, what a story!  Glad you made it out ok.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:59:24 pm »
BTW I started working with my bow exerciser the other day, am able to walk and get outside.  Lots of time to dive into the archives.  The dairy we sold our dairy water buffalo too has promised to send me the bull's horns when they are done using him for stud service. I want to mount them and hang my tattered shirt from them.

Wow Ron, that is a downright scary story.  This goes well past luck if you ask me. 

I have a suggestion for the horns though.  Why don't you cast a mold from them and make a set of replicas to hang the shirt from?  Then, the originals can go on the belly of a composite horn bow...put the power of that bad boy to use.  Just a thought.  Glad you're OK.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline RDK

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »
Thanks everyone.

George-I like your thinking...and by gosh harvesting the power with a story-that is a real bowyer talking.......Thank you
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »
Glad your alright....think I would ask to personally put that one down!!! >:D Some things just feel uncompleted...you could fix that!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:08:29 pm »
Wow, you are one tough dude.  I'm glad you are on the road to recovery.  I think I would have been more revengefull.  I would have gotten even one juicy steak at a time.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:38 pm »
The whole time Loeben is wondering how this guy keeps getting up!  You sure showed him who had the staying power in that rumble. 

I will never eat a slice of fresh buffalo mozzerella without thinking of your story, RDK.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SA

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:21:03 am »
that is quit an experience i hope you recover soon! that is probably one of my worst fears on my job , we are in pastures all the time surveying and i have had a few run ins with steers but was able to make it to a fence just in time(several times) . i beleive your parents were watching over you for sure and goes to show what pure determination and strong will can do. take care and get well .
shawn,
Shawn Acker

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 12:43:57 am »
Amazing story!  I've ran with the bulls in Pamplona and saw a few guys get gored. Makes you appreciate the raw power of these animals.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA