Author Topic: Rock maple tension or compression strong?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Rock maple tension or compression strong?
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:19 pm »
So i've got two rock maple sister staves that are dry enough to get to floor-tiller stage, and so far they are looking good. A little prop twist in one, but its moderate enough that I might not bother fixing it. The other will need some heat treatment for string alignment, but is a nearly pristine stave otherwise. They are probably dry enough now to tiller them out, but I'll have to weigh them this week to be sure.

So before I get into some shaping, I'd like to get a better idea of what my final product will be. My question is: is rock maple tension strong, compression strong or fairly even? Should I plan on trapping the back, belly, or leave them both equal?

Offline bubby

Re: Rock maple tension or compression strong?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:48:16 pm »
i've built maple self board bows with no problem, pyramid design, and as backers, the little 50" bow i gave halfeye is maple backed epe, i think rich is drawing 27", Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:39:46 am »
I think hard maple is pretty even in terms of compression and tension. It's an excellent wood that takes many designs. Since all woods are stronger in tension than in compression, it would still be wise a (slightly) trap the back. But if the wood is from split staves, there's probably already a natural crown on the back. In that case leave the back as is and get a flat belly.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:59:32 am »
I love hard maple!  I wish I had more of it.  Like has already been said, a little crown and a flat belly.  Josh

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:40:50 pm »
It is a natural stave with a slightly crowned back, so it sounds like I'm good to go.

For one of these staves I'm doing a simple pyramid design.

For the second one which I left a bit longer I think I am gonna go with parallel limbs for a short distance then taper to the tips, and probably flip the tips too.