Author Topic: 1st bow--Near disaster--I thought that we need to see the bad and ugly too!  (Read 9377 times)

Offline snedeker

Re: 1st bow--Near disaster--I thought that we need to see the bad and ugly too!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 06:29:16 pm »
thanks for posting that.  There used to be a lot more early attempts on here, with varying levels of tillering success, including a wild one or two of mine from back around 5 years ago.  Its good to see.  I recently filed the nock grooves the wrong way on a bow too by the way.

Dave

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 01:39:07 am »
Hi Chuck,  Well you sure got a lot of interest with this post!.  I can't speak for everybody, but I know I've made some real duds.  That was especially true at first.  I can't rember how many of my early bows ended up way too weak because I was in too big a hurry.  For me, using power tools (except the band saw) pretty much just means thast I make mistakes faster. Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 02:40:59 am »
.....  For me, using power tools (except the band saw) pretty much just means thast I make mistakes faster. Ron

yes exactly; my second bow almost endet up like this-one for the exact same reasons - well, almost means similar tillerprofile, not as bad a stringfollow, but the bow broke pretty soon in the handle ...  :(
mistakes certainly can be made fast enough with a tiny little scraper!!!  ;D ;D ;D
have fun with the next-one!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 02:47:09 am »
I used to post my "duds" on here in hopes of helping someone else by going over the mistakes or failed strategy. Inevitably a number of viewers would fail to read the post and just look at the picture with all kinds of good advice. I stopped posting them LOL. Steve

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 12:46:27 pm »
I appreciate the responses and especially the ones that have told me about the first steps to take in tillering.  It has been helpful.  It is encouraging to know that I am not the only one that had a bad expierence in bow making.  I didnt feel that it would turn out well from the initial mistake of gringing into the belly.  I am kind of stick to it  guy and I wanted to finish the process if for nothing else just to say it was completed.  Along the way I made my first rawhide from last years whitetail,  I was able to wrap the handle area with it, as well as, backing the bow, I fashioned my first attempt making tip overlays out of antler, and carved my first arrow rest out of a piece of antler.  I, also, made a flemish string jig and fashioned my first flemish string.  All in all it has been a wonderful expierence and I loved the challenge.  Well, I was hoping to be able to use the bow in this hunting season but that dont look good.  I received a commercial longbow last Christmas (PSE) and really need to get busy to find a good arrow for it.  Lots to do as I have another bow profiled now...chuck
Chuck Jones San Antonio, Texas

Loogster

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 02:15:35 pm »
Dont feel bad
my first bow snapped in my face  ;D
Figured out you need to work the bow in a bit