Author Topic: Handle wrap, NEED HELP!  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Shondy55

Handle wrap, NEED HELP!
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:09:23 pm »
hey guys I've been searching all morning for a how to on handle wrapping but i can't seem to find any, I'm finishing up a bow and not to partial to either a leather or cord handle wrap. i just need to see how to do it.  so i need you help!
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline gothmog

Re: Handle wrap, NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:32:05 pm »
Start with a piece of paper as a pattern, cut it to size and wrap it around handle to suit you.  I like to double over the ends that are going to be sewn together about .25" each.  Then leave about a .125-.25" gap between when pulled tight.  Glue double sides over and clamp till dry, i use rubber cement.  Punch holes in doubled over leather, and soak submerged in water overnight.  This allows the leather to stretch.  When ready to finish, cut 3-4 feet of sinew, leather lace, whatever, and I find it easier to put a sewing needle on both ends.  I also like to put a thin coat of rubber cement on the wood right before beginning.  Pull needle through both top or both bottom holes, then lace all way up, pulling tight as you go.  Leather will stretch to close gap.  When through last holes, lace each straight across and tie off.  Let dry overnight, and leather will pull tight yet stay closed on back in stitching.  Others have other methods, some look better than mine, but this works for me.  Good luck!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »
Are you saying that you don't want either a leather or a cord wrap or that you dont care which one it is?

a good how to is at the end of Gordon's hazelnut D bow build along. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:36:09 pm »
sorry, i was saying that either one would work
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:51:27 pm »
One of the easiest I have done and looks pretty good is the suede leather lacing you get at WalMart. You can use 2 sided tape (like carpet tape) applied to the handle to get it started. A loop around the top and bottom of the handle area should be enough. Then start wrapping at the top and finish at the bottom. Use a little super glue at the end when you're finished. Looks pretty good and is comfortable. Here is one I did using that method.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:33:00 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:42 am »
go to the how-to's pg, pg12,13,16,17, it only took a few minuites to find them all, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹