Author Topic: bowyers knot ???  (Read 2794 times)

Offline danny f

bowyers knot ???
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:41:31 pm »
hi there, i have just bought a long string to tiller my first bow with. but i dont know how to tie the bowyers not while the bow is bent and under tension. i want to try the bow at a low brace but whenever i tie the string it ends up slack. i tried youtube but could only find videos of how to tie the knot while slack. cheers for any help.

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: bowyers knot ???
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »
It would be a talented person that can tie a Boyer's knot while under tension !

The other end of your string should have a loop in it slip the loop over the other end of your bow and up a little way ,then after you tie your knot you can slide the loop up the limb and into the knock !

Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:51:09 pm »
If you tie it correctly, you can tie it then brace the bow.  Try search for a timber hitch, another name for the same knot.  Sounds like you're looping around the wrong part of the string.  Make the end of the string resemble a P shape, with the vertical part of the P pointing toward the other end, and the part looping around to make the circle of the P passing under the vertical and extending to the left past the vertical so it looks something like this:  -----P (the dashes representing the very end of the string.  Now loop the dash (end) part back under the vertical and wrap it around the bottom of the circle of the "P" a couple times so it ends up pointing the opposite way:  P------  (NOT around the vertical part, that would be more like starting to tie your shoe, and that will come loose under tension).  Correctly tied, it will only get tighter under tension. 

Much easier to show in pictures, but this is a quick walkthrough, hope it makes sense!!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline danny f

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:10:08 pm »
cheers for the advice and that link is great too. i did tie the knot while the looped end was out of the nock but i did it to short its hard to judge where to tie it. i will keep trying im sure i will grast it sooner or later. thanks danny.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »
Unstring the bow first, if needed. Hook the loop end of your string over the upper nock, into the string groove. Pull the string tight (by hand) along the length of the bow. Measure 2" from the other string groove and tie the bowyers knot here. The string will be 2" shorter than nock groove to nock groove distance. Now take the loop end again, and take the loop from the groove. Slide it over the upper limb (limb goes through loop). Take the bowyers knot and fit it in the lower string groove. Pull it tight on both ends, so it fits nicely in the groove. Now string the bow (step-through method, or preferably push-and-pull method) by applying pressure to the limbs, while you slide the loop over the limb, until it slips into the upper string groove.

If the string is too long (=braceheight to low), you have to re-do the process, and shorten the string in small increments. A string 2" shorter than the groove-to-groove length will actually be too long. A string will in practice be about 3" shorter than the NTN length of the bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286