Author Topic: Hickory haul  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Hickory haul
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 06:22:17 am »
Thanks guys,yes it is pignut,it is defiantly worth more as staves than a log,the log sold to a logger would be worth $150.00 to $200.00 so I never sell Hickory to loggers. The bellies usually come off pretty clean,this one was a little tougher for some reason but we don't use it for bows,tried it but just to brittle for me so we use it to cook with. Don't wast much. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:22:38 am »
Wow! Thats a lot of Hickory! I have a tree about 12" in dia too close to the house. It may have to come down. When it does, I'll peel and seal.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 10:20:05 am »
Looks like a lot of hard work - great pictures!
1’—>1’

Offline DQ

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 12:53:11 pm »
Wow!  That's a good day's work, Pappy.  Nice haul!  Just the firewood from the branches would probably heat my house next winter.  :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 12:09:00 am »
Nice haul Pappy. You've got a heck of a gang there at Twin Oaks!  8)   My back went out on Saturday. Must have been in sympathy for you guys.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 12:24:04 am »
Wow! That sure is an impressive hickory tree. Nice staves. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jcshell

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 09:10:25 am »
Thats a nice haul of hickory, Pappy.  Thanks for posting the pics.   Have you ever milled backs from a hickory log?  I just came across some some nice pignut logs and I was experimenting with how to have them cut so as to get a good supply of backs for laminated bows.  Any thoughts or experience in this? Also, I always thought that you wanted the log cut after a summer growth so that the summer wood is on top after peeling the bark.  Is this the case?  Thanks, Jon       

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 10:24:43 am »
This is why I miss Tennessee. Tons of Black Locust, Ash, Hickory , and Hedge Apple from where people started bringing it in, and now it grows wild all the way from Johnson City up to Butler and Mountain City. But now I live in the land of the pines.
Amazing haul.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 04:42:47 pm »
Yes Sir Pappy!

Beauty of a Haul!

Shame I don't live closer, or own an aircraft, I'd love to come split wood with you.  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX