Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Crash

Now what?
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:28:03 pm »
Hey All,

I came to this message board last about two years ago when I finished my first board bow and ran out of spare time. I'm back in it again to try a self bow and have a nice piece of white ash that's been sitting in my basement for 2 years now. I split it when I got it, and just today I planed down the cut so that I could see the grain a bit better. From what I've seen so far I need to follow the grain to get my bow shape, but there's no fall-off on my rings. I guess I'm a little lost. What do I do next?
I know everything, just not all at the same time...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 11:58:03 pm »
You need to remove the bark and cambium from the back being very careful not to disturb the ring under the bark. That will be the back of your bow. How wide is the stave? If big enough to split into two staves, now is the time to do so.
  If not find the center of the stave and draw a line across the stave there.  Put a line down the center of the back from one end to the other being sure you follow the grain of the wood. Now it is time to decide what you want to build. How long is the stave? Do you have a bow design in mind? What is your draw length and what draw weight are you shooting for?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Crash

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:08:58 am »
Hey Pat

The wood is 3 inches at the top and 3.75 at the bottom, and 56.5 inches long. My draw length is 27.5 and I'd like the draw weight around 45-50#. I haven't put much thought into design cuz I'm still trying to wrap my head around "figuring out the wood". If I get what you're saying, it's the back of the bow that decides the outline, correct?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:34:02 am »
I would say the stave is too short for your draw length if this will be only your 2nd bow.
  There is a bow in that stave so if you want to find it go for an Eastern Woodland style, bend through the handle bow. You will srtill have to be very careful tillering the bow and don't over stress it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Crash

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 02:10:24 am »
I think I can handle the tillering alright, but getting this cambium off is a bear! Also, there's some insect damage on the first ring, so I think that means I'll have to chase. I do have another stave with a LOT more character to it that is 70" x 2.5". If I fail miserably I can always make another board bow to build confidence :)

Offline Jorad

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 03:36:14 am »
I think the build-a-longs on my site could give you a nudge in the right direction. Done by Gordon, and they show his methods in great detail.

library.orionbows.nl/builds