Author Topic: Greetings from a newbie  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Driftwood

Greetings from a newbie
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:52:59 pm »
Hello, everyone-

I'm so glad to have found these forums & have sincerely enjoyed reading your posts and especially the build-a-longs. I've had an interest in woodworking and especially primitive bows for about 20 years, but have not indulged it beyond reading a few books & admiring pictures. That's about to change, though...my 9 year old daughter has become a big fan of the Hunger Games books & movie, and she asked me last weekend if I thought we could make a bow so she'd have one from her dad like Katniss did. That's all it took!

I do have a little experience with making traditional things - years ago, my wife & I ran a successful side business making period costumes and leathergoods & sold those at Rennaisance fairs, and I did some decorative wood carving then. Also did some chainmail pieces. But I am completely unwashed with respect to the art of bowyering!

I'll sure appreciate any suggestions or advice as I begin to learn. I'm planning to start converting my garage into a workspace this weekend. We live in Sugar Land (suburb SW of Houston)...is there anyone near here that might suggest sources for materials? I'm thinking that our first few tries will be red oak board bows, but I'm in love with the history and romance of English longbows, and want to work towards tackling those! Google suggests that Houston Hardwoods & Clarks in the Heights might be possibilities...any other suggestions?

Thanks again, really glad to be here!

driftwood

Offline Bert

Re: Greetings from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:27:30 pm »
Welcome Driftwood !

Let me be the first to welcome you in these parts of the internet !
I'm not from around where you live, but never the less i wish you lots of joy in this craft !

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:43:46 pm »
Welcome to Pa and our addiction !!
Someone from your area will most likely show up soon !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:02:26 pm »
Hello and welcome aboard Driftwood,

When I say your handle I wondered if you could be from around the Texas Gulf Coast... :)
I like digging through the racks at Houston Hardwoods and Clark's.
And chasing down tree trimmers around town, just listen for the Chainsaw and Wood Chipper music and follow it to its source.

There is also some good information to be had on this thread:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16307.0.html

Also some Houston Area Boys are getting together tomorrow to talk shop, make cordage/strings, make some wood shavings, and perhaps do a little knapping.
I live out on the West side of town near Gessner and the West Sam Houston toll road.
You are welcome to drop by and join in the fun if you like.
From 9am till we run out of steam.

PM me if you are interested, and I'll send you the address.

Welcome to our addiction!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 12:46:08 am »
Any guy that wanders in here just for a look-see and isn't immediately all ate up with the bug needs to turn in his Man Card!  Just sayin'.    >:D

Somewhere in here someone posted photos of the actual Katniss Everdean (Kantkiss Neverclean) bows before he sent them off for the movie.  The design is pretty straightforward, so if you wanna make your little girl's eyes really light up you got a better than even chance of pulling it off! 

There are a good number of Texicans in here and nearly every one of them will happily work with you to get you started.  Great bunch of people, even George Stoneberg, despite his love of evil wood.  Hope to see you posting some bows in here soon, sir.  And in the meanwhile, you can post some pics of your leatherwork and chainmail in the Around The Campfire section. 

Welcome.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:53:14 am »
Welcome to PA! My advice is to take advantage of people in your area to work with and learn from. That's what it took for me to ultimately feel comfortable making bows on my own. And it's more fun. This place is a great resource of information and inspiration.

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:23 am »
Hi my name is Scott and I too am an addict....   ::)

Welcome aboard! From Texas you have all kinds of choices (wish I still lived there :( )Good luck in your endeavor. And congrats on your daughter choicing to get involved with such a wonderful hobby!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:49:54 am »
Welcome! Nice to see you here. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 10:02:10 am »
Welcome, Driftwood! I took a peek in here last fall and it was all over for me. I have loved every minute of it, too. I look forward to seein some of your work!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Driftwood

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 01:41:07 am »
Thanks for the welcome you guys! I was really hoping to take advantage of Gus' invitation to join the Houston group today, but that didn't work out. Next time for sure.

I did post some pictures of past work in the Around the Campfire forum if you're interested in looking. Here's the link: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33338.0.html

With regard to that Katniss Everdeen bow, wasn't sure if I found the build a long you mentioned, JW_Halvorson, but that's exactly what I'd love to do...it's a Holmegaard, right? (First time I'm using that word today & I already feel like getting it tattooed on me somewhere!)

Thanks again for welcoming me, can't wait to get started learning from you all!

driftwood