Author Topic: Hedge...Help!  (Read 2616 times)

Stringman

Hedge...Help!
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:24:29 pm »
Got a nice little haul the other day. Some folks were cleanin up a campground and had been saving me the "junk" trees.  >:D

When I showed up I just had to cut out the pieces I wanted and haul 'em home. Then a buddy stopped by to help me quarter everything.

Now comes the fun part!! Anyone close enough that wants to join in on the debarkin/sealin effort I would be willin to send them home happy! Otherwise, I guess I will have to find a place to store it all... Whoa is me.  ::)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Hedge...Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:32:05 pm »
Sweet!  Looks like some nice straight stuff.  How are the rings?  I can't tell by the pictures. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:34:34 pm »

Good Haul!! Now you have something to occupy yourself other than rocks!!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:25:43 pm »
way to go!
wish i was closer, i'd be happy to help  :)
wild women don't get the blues

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:40:39 pm »
Sweet!  Looks like some nice straight stuff.  How are the rings?  I can't tell by the pictures. 

the rings are medium- good. Not over thick like some of the better stuff around here. I will try to take a pic of the rings later today.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 04:17:24 pm »
Very nice piece of recycling.  :laugh:  I sure wish you guys would find a stash like that closer to me.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Bert

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »
Wish i was closer, an flight ticket cost an arm and a leg  ! (not to mention having a stave as hand luggage !)

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:57:33 pm »
If you want to you can just split them in half then spray them real good and put them in a dry place and you can split them later on. I split all my logs just in half then put them some where dry for six months then split them down to staves. I have better luck with them that way. Less twist less checking ect. Just make sure you seal the ends and spray them with insecticide a couple of times this summer. Dean

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:08:29 pm »
Well I already got a third of them debarked. In fact already cut out a worm hole or two as well. They are only quartered so there is still plenty of mass there. I will concede some loss from cracking but with the sap wood still on... Have to see how industrious I am this weekend. Heres a pic of the rings/checking. Need to get some glue on them quickly!!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:54:10 pm »
Wow that is a lot of wood.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 12:12:14 am »
That's a great haul and most of the work done for you :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 12:17:07 am »
Excellent haul Scott! Looks like you'll be out of commission on beating rock until you get finished beating that Osage ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956