Author Topic: Chasing A Ring On A Board?  (Read 2800 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Chasing A Ring On A Board?
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:30:29 pm »
Has anyone ever tried chasing a ring on a board?  I have an ash board that is fairly straight, but in the interest of making it look like it was made from a stave, I was thinking about chasing it down to one continuous growth ring on the back.  I have one piece that Ibelieive I can do that with.  Has anyone had any experience doing that?  What would you do?  Would you cut out the shape first and then chase the ring or would you chase the ring while it is still a board and then cut out the shape?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Chasing A Ring On A Board?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:37:28 pm »
IF, and that is the really big word in this sentence, there is a growthring that you follow from end to end without leaving you with one or both limbs paper thin, then yes, it can be done.  But it would be an extraordinary board.

I have made several board bows to look like stave bows just by adding a little crown to the back of the bow.  In those cases they were either sinew backed or rawhide backed, too.  If you go to the Little Big Horn Battle site, they have a filmed re-enactment of the battle...the bows I am speaking of are in that video. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:25:04 pm »
Go for it if youll have enough meat left...chase the ring,and then do your layout,then cut your profile

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:53:14 am »
  I doi it fairly often, if I see a flat sawn board that I can chase a ring on and still be thick enough I buy it. usually maple, ash or oak is about all I have to choose from. More often than not I have to buy 2" thick lumber, the waste on the sides will often be straight grained enough to saw into edge grain backing strips.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:52:03 am »
I have done it several time also on some black locust boards a guy gave me,worked out fine,Like JW said you have to have the right kind of board but it will work fine if that is case. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:03 am »
I've never done it but you can provided the edge grain is straight tip to tip with no run outs. If I find a board like that I don't bother to chase a ring. Jawge
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!