Author Topic: Hickory Backed Osage Takedown Longbow  (Read 8390 times)

Offline jcshell

Hickory Backed Osage Takedown Longbow
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:40:00 am »
I am somewhat new to traditional archery and bow making.  I made my first self bow two years ago after finding a nice osage log in the woods and becoming fascinated with its hidden potential.  Out of that log and a lot of work and learning I ended up with a functional bow, though not pretty or very efficient.  After that experience I was hooked and captivated by all-wood traditional bows.  During the two years since that first self bow I have experimented with many different native woods and bow making techniques in an attempt to achieve the most functional, aesthetically pleasing, and efficient longbow possible.  I was not happy with the hassles of traveling with the one piece bows that I made and I began to plan and dream of making a takedown longbow.  The bow you see here is the result of that quest. 

The materials for this bow were all locally harvested, except for the buffalo horn and takedown sleeve.   The bow is 66" long and pulls right at 50# @ 28".  The limbs measure 1 1/4" at the fades and have a continuous taper ending in 3/8" tips.  The back of the bow is 1/8" thick and is made from a carefully selected piece of hickory. The belly of the bow is composed of three 1/8" layers of Osage Orange. The laminations were glued together, with an initial 3 1/2" of reflex, using TBIII.   The riser is made of black walnut and has an arrow shelf cut in just shy of center. This bow uses four inch nesting steel/brass sleeves for the takedown mechanism. The back of the bow is continuous and uncut in the sleeves so as not to compromise strength at the points of transition from limb to riser. Once together the seams in the sleeves melt into the handle area and become invisible. The handle wrap and strike plate is made from a piece of locally trapped and tanned beaver tail and hand stitched with artificial sinew.  I have found beaver tail handle wraps to be extremely durable and the leather has a very unique texture which feels good in the hand and prevents slipping. The tip and riser overlays are made of black buffalo horn. The bow shoots very well and is very steady in the hand. 

I am very proud of this bow and happy to have the chance to share it with you.  I think that the bow's aesthetics and efficiency combined with the practicality and portability of a takedown make it a beautiful piece.  I am very grateful for Primitive Archer and other great writings and online forums which allowed me to learn from others and share ideas and thoughts.  Thanks!

Jon Shellenberger

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: Hickory Backed Osage Takedown Longbow
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:45:40 am »
WOW, welcome to PA
That's a pretty snazzy lookin bow for your first post.
Keep it up!
-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:00:53 am »
Very nice,I like that a lot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:07:42 am »
Thats one heck of a nice bow! Welcome to PA.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:24:59 am »
Nice job, Jon. Thanks for the details. It sure turned out good for ya!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:54 am »
Sweet :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:56:26 pm »
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline jcshell

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:52:01 pm »
I forgot to mention that I dyed the hickory back with navy blue RIT dye and then sanded back the corners to show the white of the hickory.  I have had a hard time finding a good stain for the hickory backs, but I recently read about using RIT with denatured alcohol and I love how well it works. 

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:25:17 pm »
Great Looking bow I need to try me a take down!

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 12:58:57 am »
Great looking bow!

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 02:20:46 am »
Thanks for showing us your bow and welcome to PA!  I'd bet that's a really fast bow. 

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 03:38:54 am »
Nice looking bow and journey.
Can you show a picture of it un-strung and side on to the camera.
To me it looks a bit hingey out of the fades with the lower limb looking a bit weak.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:39:07 am »
Well done. The details look great. I love the idea of a takedown but have yet to try one. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline jcshell

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 03:00:57 pm »
Here is a picture of the bow side on.    The bottom limb did end up just a touch weaker at the fade than the top but it shoots so well that I didn't think it warranted retillering. 

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 04:32:34 pm »
Travel bows don't get a whole lot better than that!!!

Very nice work :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)