Author Topic: Briar pipe  (Read 12293 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Briar pipe
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »
I rarely smoke, and when I do I prefer a pipe.  After seeing the pipe that was used by the Devil Anse character in the recent Hatfield/McCoy series I have a hankering to make a briar pipe from scratch.  I've researched a little online and think it is something I could probably do.

Does anyone in here have experience making a briar pipe?  How about a source for a native North American briarwood, or other wood choice?

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Briar pipe
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:18:43 pm »
Funny you should bring this subject up now.
A while back I dug up a huge Briar Root (smilax).
I was under the impression that Briar Root pipes were made from....well Briar Roots.
After seening your post I looked into it a bit... Briar Root pipes are not made from Briar Roots at all but some type of super hard wood that comes from over seas.....

Now what am I going to do with that Briar Root????  It is almost the size of a Basketball.

David
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:18:35 pm by RidgeRunner »
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:14:54 pm »
Send it to George Stoneberg in Texas.  He'll try tillering anything.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:25:50 pm »
I have some chunks of super burly walnut you could try.  I haven't tried it myself.  But it is some beautifully figured stuff.  Let me know if you want some.  Josh

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »
LOL ;D  I literally choked on my sweet tea when I read this.  ;D

not to change the subject but that Hatfield and McCoy was the best show I have seen on TV in a LOOOOONG time.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 05:32:26 pm »
That sounds great, Doc.  Can I get a piece 8" wide by 66" long in 10/4 stock?  I got a .54 cal octagon pipestem that would go look great with it!

I imagine walnut burl might work. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 05:51:17 pm »
Mountain Laurel(Kalmia latafolia)root is supposed to be almost as good as Meerschaum for making pipe bowls. It grows all over the mountains here in our neck of the woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:05:25 pm »
That sounds great, Doc.  Can I get a piece 8" wide by 66" long in 10/4 stock?  I got a .54 cal octagon pipestem that would go look great with it!
 I imagine walnut burl might work.

Send me your address and I will send you a piece for a tobacco pipe.  I'll have to dig through the stash on the .54 cal.  Pipe.  Which I need to do anyway for a couple thunderstick projects of my own.  Of course, you would only be interested in straight grain stuff right?  I'm sure you wouldn't want any burl  or fiddle back junk.  Would ya? >:D. Josh

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 06:55:01 pm »
I've made a couple of pipe bowls from mesquite wood.  Worked really well.  Still have one of them.  I hear apple wood works good too.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:53:11 pm »
LOL ;D  I literally choked on my sweet tea when I read this.  ;D

not to change the subject but that Hatfield and McCoy was the best show I have seen on TV in a LOOOOONG time.
that's what i thought too, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 05:26:41 am »
::) ::) John, you crack me up!  ::) ;D
St Paul, TX

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 08:04:21 am »
A pipe is on my (long) to do list as well. I saw an Osage pipe online that looked awesome. I've put aside a few chunks of Osage and walnut to dry for when I can get to that project.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:16 pm »
  I have made a fw pipes from onknown burls I collected at the tree trimmers dump. Some kind of bush, have also made them from maple burl and osage. Both the maple burl and the osage developed cracks.

Offline darwin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 02:15:48 pm »
I have always liked pipes ever since I was little and read the hobbit I thought about how cool it would be to sit on my front porch and blow smoke rings. I have thought about making one but I stopped smoking about a year ago when my dad had a heart attack before he turned 50 ( not trying to rip on smokers, he didn't even smoke) but since heart disease runs strong in my family I though best not to push it. Dads fine now and I still have the urge to build a pipe might try to even though I won't smoke it

Also hatfields and mccoys was pretty awesome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 09:50:41 pm »
I'm a reformed smoker, too.  But now and then, when sitting around the campfire and the coals have died down I just want a few pulls on a small bowl of cavendish long cut. 

That and I want yet another half finished project taking up space on my bench.   >:(