Author Topic: Bamboo quiver  (Read 7986 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Bamboo quiver
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:39:08 pm »
Bamboo quiver I built last week.  Pretty simple project and it holds enough arrows for a day of hunting.  Drilled a few holes and laced on the leather around the top and added the thongs for a carry strap.  I had to knock out one node, which was no big deal.  I put some foam rubber in the bottom to help quieten it down.  The node in the middle is knocked out, but it is a smaller diameter than the rest of the quiver, so it really silences the arrows from rattling around. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

Re: Bamboo quiver
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »
Cool idea. I like!

Offline wasanchez

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »
Pretty cool.  I may try and build one.  I've been playing with ideas for a hunting quiver.  It looks like it holds 5 or 6 arrows, huh?

Walt
Walter Sanchez
Moulton, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »
I love the look of that quiver, I want one now!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 02:40:31 pm »
Pretty cool!  I got one that's a little bigger in diameter so that after the sun goes down, I can take the arrows out and fill it with five 12 oz. Cans and a few handfuls of ice.  It even has a little lid to  keep the cold in.   Josh

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:42:44 pm »
Love it!.  Been thinking of somthing similar myself.  maybee we can work a trade? 

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:56:49 pm »
Thanks fellows.  I thought it was pretty slick.  There are two stands of golden bamboo that I know of in our county.  It reaches diameters of 2- 3 inches and will accomodate four or five arrows (or 12 oz cans  >:D).  You might could be more thorough with the punching out of the node separation and get more arrows in it, but I like the way it holds them in the middle and keeps things quiet.  I am going to plant some of this stuff and get it growing at the house.  It has all sorts of uses.  P B send me a pm and maybe we can barter.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 03:15:23 pm »
How did you get the barriers out?

Thanks,
PB

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »
Not hard to do at all.  I took a piece of steel rod and knocked it out.  It isn't really tough material, quite brittle when compared to the rest of the bamboo.  As far as that subject goes, I covered the bottom with a heavier leather - I wouldn't trust the node separation for a solid bottom to the quiver.  I did drill a hole in the bottom to let the water drain, just in case i get caught in a frog strangler....
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 05:09:54 pm »
Howard,
      Ya got plenty in there, besides ya only need one (arrow that is) >:D
rich

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:21:12 pm »
Yeah, Rich this little quiver will hold four or five arrows, which is usually more than enough for a day of deer hunting.  I can't recall ever shooting at a deer twice with a bow...  They don't seem to hang around for me, but I always take some spares - just in case.....  I try to hold myself to twenty yards or less, and I would rather have one so close that I can smell 'em....
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »
Unless you are hunting with me.  i need all 5 and it's nice to have a good solid quiver to throw that can pack  a whollop also.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »
Shoot a picket fence of arrows around 'em, then beat 'em to death with the bow?  Whatever it takes Prarie Bowyer.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:20 pm »
...  There are two stands of golden bamboo that I know of in our county.  It reaches diameters of 2- 3 inches and will accomodate four or five arrows (or 12 oz cans  >:D).    I am going to plant some of this stuff and get it growing at the house.  It has all sorts of uses.  P B send me a pm and maybe we can barter.

Golden is a runner.  Be sure you read up on growing it.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:33 pm »
Nice, Howard. Looks really good.

I got some bamboo poles at a flea market recently. A guy was makin bird houses out of em. He was fixin to close up shop and sold me several 8' poles, all for 10 bucks. I cut them to quiver length and that is as far as I got. I heard they split when they dry so I sprayed the ends with shellac. So far so good. I haven't made any more progress, yet. Yours turned out so well, I guess I'll have to get back on em. Did you have any problem with splitting or did you take preventative measures to prevent it?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA