Author Topic: leather thong arrow rest on white oak bow  (Read 2340 times)

Offline H Rhodes

leather thong arrow rest on white oak bow
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:06:18 pm »
White oak bow I built last week.  68" ntn, 58#@29".  Took about 2 and 1/2 inches of set.  shoots pretty good though.  I had some black rawhide lacing that I reverse twisted into a length of cordage.  The bow was a quickie so i didn't put an arrow rest on it.  I tied the cordage around it and figured out how to wrap it around my hand to make a pretty effective arrow rest, which can be taken off and tied on other bows....  just an idea.

Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: leather thong arrow rest on white oak bow
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:12:23 pm »
That'll work or you could skyve and wrap the forward end of your arrows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:19:00 pm »
Dang Howard, that's a pretty slick deal right there....bow looks good also.
rich

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »
I like it. makes me wonder if our ancestors did something similar. we will never know however since cordage never lasts.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 01:25:42 pm »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, you have to wonder just how many of these little things have been done before.  I am sure that I am not the original inventor of this little trick.  I agree with you Jawge.  I have found that I have a lot less damage to my left hand since I started wrapping my arrows front and back.  A little sinew and glue and all the sudden, you are not losing a fletch feather every few shots.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:15:16 pm »
If the arrows fletching catches your hand at all then your nocking point is too low. Just move it up in 1/16ths at a time until it stops. This always works. Simple!!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 03:02:24 pm »
I appreciate the tip brother, but I can't see in sixteenths....  I think you are right.  Come to think of it, that usually happens on bows before I mark a nocking point.  Of course, sometimes I don't install one of any kind and just sort of eyeball things till the arrow looks like a right angle and then fire away...  If it is for serious shooting though, I definitely install some kind of nocking point on the string.  Keeps things from stringing up and down the target.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi