Author Topic: braiding sinew and plant fibers?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
braiding sinew and plant fibers?
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:35:18 am »
After doing a search here and on PP i've decided to ask if anyone knows of a link (with pictures it's worth a thousand words) showing instructions on how to braid sinew and plant fibers. Something I've never done but definitely interested in getting started. All tutorials I have found don't go into enough detail for a beginner. Thanks, Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: braiding sinew and plant fibers?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:01:41 am »
Fred, do you want to braid the sinew(plant fibers) or reverse twist it to make cordage?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:00:46 pm »
I guess it would be reverse twist to make cordage. I did find a good tutorial while searching youtube.
I was thinking of using some of the inner bark from the elm trees I cut and also wanted to try making a sinew bowstring.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXW95Ux-4GE&fmt=18
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »
Fred, I have a sinew bowstring making series on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCB1D0FA9FE0BFB7D&feature=view_all
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:05 pm »
Thank you Patrick, that was easy to follow and should get me started. Just what I was looking for. Fred