Author Topic: First Rock Run!!!  (Read 2853 times)

Offline chertle

First Rock Run!!!
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »
Just went on my first rock run!!  WooHoo!!  It was amazing!!  Everywhere you turned there was Indiana Hornstone ;D Of course when you are looking for knapable material it isn't that easy there were alot of rocks that were freeze fractured etc, but it was a blast none the less ;)  I think that is enough material to keep me busy for a week or so >:D  Working on the tonnage kids!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Tower

Re: First Rock Run!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:05:59 pm »
Dad-gum! That's a good haul! Now show us some points.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:57:43 pm »
Looks like good stuff to me.   That's great.  Finding rock is a real trip. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:23:42 pm »
Good looking rock! Let's see some points!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22:48 am »
We have just GOT to get a drool icon!!! ;)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 01:41:51 am »
Christmas in June !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 02:03:16 am »
Chertie its my- B day in a few months & , I'm always lookin for good rockl! Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:12:49 am »
Now that's something i really enjoy almost more than making points - getting out there :). That haul looks suspiciously like a bunch of rocks i picked up one time, hmm. lol... Looking forward to all the good stuff that comes out of em..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline chertle

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:29:11 am »
I started working on some lastnight!!!  I am just scared to break into it, it looks so great now I am afraid I will just bust it into gravel :-[  Tower, I should send you some for your b-day......heaven knows you sure will know what to do with it.  Cowboy, your suspicions are correct although we noticed yesterday the area seems to be heavily traveled......we are thinking of going in search for some Attica Green next time, or at the very least looking for better honey holes for hornstone ;)
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Will H

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:43:52 am »
Nice haul! Gotta love that hornstone  :)  Dot worry bout turning it in to gravel...sometimes thats what it takes to get better. Just try to learn something from each piece.

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:44:06 pm »
ooo, you guys went w/o me while I was @ the uke world congress.  :(  Nice haul chertle.  you said you were working on tonnage, now get workin, gravel or other, that's how you get the tonnage under your belt.  ;) nice haul, did you hit the first stream bed that we didn;t have time to hit when I went w/ hubby?  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline chertle

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:52:55 am »
Derik....I think that we went to the same creek bed that you guys hit.  We need to go back and catch the one that we keep missing ;)
Will....thanks for the advice to learn something from each mistake.  I am trying to do that now.  When something doesn't flake right I ask what I could have done differently and try to do it better the next time :P
By the way Bevan I noticed on another thread that you found a drool icon :laugh:
Leslie
Indiana

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 07:05:59 am »
I'd like to make it back up there with you guys. If it's the same creek up toward the top is where all the big stuff was and i wish i'd had a prybar at the time. The banks were full of cobbles but low grade. I'm thinking deeper in the ground is where all the pure black footballs were :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline chertle

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:54 am »
Come on up Cowboy!!!!  I am ready to go on another run!!!  We found some good stone and yesterday I worked a quarter nodule down and have a few nice spalls for some points, but there never seems to be enough >:D I was happy with what we found but you are right we didn't find any of the gold just silver and some bronze :laugh:
Leslie
Indiana