Author Topic: recurve limb twist ?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline DQ

recurve limb twist ?
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:24:34 pm »
Tell me about limb twist again.  This static recurve is killing me!   >:(

When the bow is on the tree, looking at it from the end, the tip of the recurve points to the left when drawn.   Which side is the strong side of the limb?  Where do I need to remove wood to straighten out the static tip?

PEARLE - You saw this elm bow at Marshall and it was straight then.  While working it down I developed this twist on one limb...and I may have taken wood off the wrong side.  Yikes!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: recurve limb twist ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:31:16 pm »
It leans towards the weak side. Sometimes your thickness is good , or already too thin on the strong side. If thats the case heat it up with your gun for a bit and twist it the opposite direction and hold it for 2-3 minutes. That will work to. Thats another reason I like short recurves, they tend to stay straight. Once the string angle changes the benefit of the static is acheived. Anything beyond that angle is dead weight and more apt to twist.

That was a perfect blank for sure. Exactly symmetrical from tip to tip and the thickness was great, trust me eyeballed the heck out of it! Stick with it Darryl. If you gets to where its not coming along give me a hollar and I will try to find my way up to see if I can help at all.

P.S.
A good way to remember the limb twist rule is the strong side stands tall, the weaker side bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.