Author Topic: Copper Bopper - Too Far Gone?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline budmenchaca

Copper Bopper - Too Far Gone?
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »
My copper bopper is looking a bit rough these days.

I'm not sure if I should retire this guy or if there's something I can do to dress it up.

Any suggestions?

~Vegetarian is an Indian word for "Bad Hunter"
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Copper Bopper - Too Far Gone?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:10:58 pm »
I beat on mine with a little, tiny ballpeen until it is pretty smooth again,but once the wood handle starts showing thru,I put a new cap on it.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:26:41 pm »
I second that.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:22:37 am »
Hey Bud, you didn't get that handle from the guy that sells carving's out by the race track did ya? Just joshing :). I don't use that kind of bopper anymore but would say there's some life in her yet..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »
If the silver specks on the copper are lead from the weight inside, it's done.  Depending on how often, how much and what kind of rock, you can expect to wear out your bopper pretty regularly.  Cheapest is to make your own, otherwise, if you stick with knapping, it will get even more expensive. 

Offline budmenchaca

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:57 am »
Thanks for all the replies. There wasn't any lead showing through the cap so I dressed it up the best that I could. I must say it's working nicely...much nicer than I anticipated. I took the old ballpeen and worked it out. I'd say there's still some use out of it.

Cowboy: What type of billet/bopper do you use? I have a few hammestones but no large antler billets. Is there one that you prefer?
~Vegetarian is an Indian word for "Bad Hunter"
BUD M.
Mason, Texas

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:38:05 am »
Sorry took so long Bud. So many post's to look at these days. I made some of those boppers in the beginning but like you kept wearing them out on this tough tx concrete. I got lucky one day at a metal mart and stumbled across a bunch of copper round stock remnants. Bought them for the price of copper per pound and i do believe they'll last me a lifetime. The largest i have is about 1 1/2 inches so i use large river cobbles for my big spalling.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:44:38 am »
I have access to copper rounds up to 2" round at $5.50 per pound.  Would be happy to help anyone out with copper if they need it for cost and shipping.  I just don't want to buy it and then get stuck with it if someone changes their mind.

The scrap yard in my town seems to get a lot of it in.  It also gets in flat stock.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 04:55:29 pm »
That is another great source to check - the scrap yards. I've accumulated a few from those places too.