Author Topic: anyone tryed artifical snake backing ??  (Read 3236 times)

Offline bcbull

anyone tryed artifical snake backing ??
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »
ok guys iv been lookin at the new artifical snake backing 3 rivers and rudder bow s is selling i noticed rudder bows says to use tite bond  or smooth on 3 rivers say epoxy or tite bound  reason im askin is i have a snakey stave that devloped some small cracks on the back and belly  what im wanting to know is any of ya tryed it with epoxy yet ? im thinkin i just might be able to save this one doing that so wanted to see what experinces you guys have had with it thanks a bunch  brock

Offline seabass

Re: anyone tryed artifical snake backing ??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:07:00 pm »
hey Brock,i hope you are doing well brother.i haven't used it yet,but i think i will give it a try.i can't wait for some info on this stuff.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:42:12 pm »
hey steve how are ya ? im good u rember that snakey snake i was workin on at the classic  thats the one what i think im gonna do is cut some test strips back em with the cloth and epoxy  then do a bend brekage test  im thinkin it ll work but as much stregth as fiberglass rasin will add compared to rawhide my bigger qustion is if it needs to be done befor you tiller it or  after  im thinkin befor  but by doin that test ill have a good idea hope some guys chime in here as this is all new  iv never used epoxy on a bows back yeti  so we will see  lol brock

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:57 pm »
Hey Brock, I've used the copperhead skin from rudderbows. They worked great. I used epoxy instead of titebond. I did find some material at the fabric store that had snakeskin print on it too. It was about 7$ for a yard, which is enough to do a lot of bows. Haven't found any with copperhead print though. Anyway, heres a pic.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline gigmaster

• The Naturalpath
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 02:34:04 am »
Outstanding!!!!!!!!

I love it.

Kustom King has something called SkinEZ that is supposed to even be removeable. It comes in two snake patterns,; Copperhead, and Canebreak. I've seriously been thinking of trying it.

I would imagine you could treat faux snake just like I do linen backing. Glue it on with Franklin's Titebond, trim it if needed, then spread more Titebond over the backing, being sure to saturate completely, then wrap the whole bow in cellophane as tightly as possible, and let it set for a few days.

I've have never had any backing come loose, yet. Titebond is wonderful stuff. I even glued a bridge back on my Martin guitar with it several years ago, and I haven't had any problems with it since.

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:50:29 am »
It does look good on that bow.  Do you cut it to size before you glue it or do you glue it on and then trim it to fit the bow?
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhVzEGLOZ1k&feature=plcp

I used TB3 to attach them.  Easy process but remember not to pull them tight lengthwise if going over bamboo.  Let the under layer dry before recoating the toplayer otherwise follow the directions on Rudder Bows website.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »
that
 came out real nice  well im gonna give em a shot with the epoxy see what happens  brock

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 08:03:59 pm »
Brock, most guys around here use Titebond for fabric backings regardless of the print on it. I would stick with that option if I were you. It is tried and true and recommended by lots of exceptional bowyers.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:51:12 pm »
justin i got ya there iv done plenty with rawhide silk bulap etc and titebound 3  what tim shootin for here  is info on epoxy backing it  my reasoning is  the bow i gonna do this expermit on is all done but not tillerd out  it s devloped some crack on the back and belly  so what im thinkin is  useing the eoxy   cuz 1.  it s a lot stronger than tightbound is to my way of thinkin i see it as adding a glass lam to the back lol i hate glass  but what im trying to do is get a idea  how much stronger it d be  sort of like using epoxy with fiberglass tape  if she blows she blows hah just a expermit to compare the restults  just maybe it will work as these chucks n cracks are all hair line   but oterwise id normally throw this one in the firewood pile lol brock