Author Topic: Prototype bundle hybrid  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Hankenhunter

Prototype bundle hybrid
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:26:29 am »
Hi all, I've been a lurker for a while and very much enjoy your site. You're valuable and freely given advice have gotten me through some frustrating times. Thank you for that! I have invented ( I think) a new type bundle bow. The pics are in the rough stage. I plan on adding Antler tips and a antler rest. The riser is juniper that I will sinew to keep the riser from splitting after I have finished carving. Have you ever seen a bow like this. The limbs are made of rose wood stems and are very durable. I can increase draw wieght by five lbs. per inch I cut off the tips. String follow is minimal and so is string shock. Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Happy shootin,
Hank

Sorry about the fuzzy, I still figuring out my camera. :-[

Offline TRACY

Re: Prototype bundle hybrid
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:37:18 am »
Interesting bow Hank! How far into the riser does each bundle limb insert? What kind of draw weight? Very cool!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hankenhunter

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:29:12 am »
Interesting bow Hank! How far into the riser does each bundle limb insert? What kind of draw weight? Very cool!

Tracy
Each bundle goes 6" into the riser. The draw weight in the picture is 30 lbs. I havn't trimmed it back to 50lb yet as I might keep the height and use thicker stems for the limbs. Once the riser is carved , it will help take some stress off the point where the bundles are inserted. This idea popped into my head while lying in bed halfway between sleep and awake. It seems to allow for a great deal of experimentation. :)
The limbs I think I will completely cover with sinew and then I will have to see what happens next. I figure I could make interchangable limbs for different hunting situations. I'm having a blast with this project and a nice break from sanding yew wood long bows.
Hank

Offline SA

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:53:04 am »
ok .... thats interesting ...like to see the finished bow, but now you have to post some pics of your yew longbows(just sayin) :)
Shawn Acker

Offline sound maker

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 03:52:46 am »
Now that nice.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 06:31:18 am »
Definitely interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:03:15 pm »
Take down primitive ;) . Post pics as you put it all together!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hankenhunter

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »
Thanks Tracey, I will post as I go. As for long bow pics, It would embarass me as they are just 1/4 sanded sticks. I will post pics when I get one close to completion. It's hard though as I have started a free bundle bow for kids program. Our Archery range is being rebuilt and at the grand opening I will be giving a free bundle bow to each youth or child. So I'm pretty busy building and stockpiling smaller size bundle bows. They are sure easy and fun to make. Getting the rosewood stems, not so much. I have prickles stuck all over me.  :o The hard part is going to be getting enough arrows for the bows. I can make trad. antler tip arrows but it takes awhile and arn't near as accurate or durable. Oh well one thing at a time. Thanks all. :)
Hank