Author Topic: Bowstring as sinew?  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Bowstring as sinew?
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:44:15 pm »
Is there some reason I should not use Dacron B-50 as artificial sinew to secure some stone points?

Offline robby

Re: Bowstring as sinew?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:51:16 pm »
Dacron has great tinsel strength, but is very poor in abrasion resistance.
Robby

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:22:51 pm »
It will fray horribly, but it would hold for a bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:07:32 pm »
Coated it all in TB3.  Only needs a shot or two.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:09:45 pm »
I've used dental floss(waxed and unwaxed) and sealed it with super glue or TB glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:46:17 am »
I think the smell of minty fresh arrows could drive away game.
 :laugh:

Offline Nifty

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »
I used B-50 tightly wrapped and coated twice in super glue to wrap around cane shafts behind my screw-in field points to keep them from splitting. I also used it to haft a trade point to a wood shaft, and test shot it a couple of times into my targets. I've had no problems with splitting or fraying after many, many shots from my red oak board bow or my gla$$ recurve bow, and I've hit hard stuff like fence pickets and rocks instead of my target as often as not...     :-[

I know it's not very primitive, but it works well   ;)
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 03:20:10 pm »
I have hafted some trade points with B-50 and coated it with saturated it with super glue.  worked as well as artificial sinew for me.  Real sinew gets the nod for the best hafting material.  I don't notice it fraying as badly.  As far as art sinew and B-50, I think it is amazing how durable they are as hafting cordage.  I have some tied on points that I have shot hundreds of times into hay bales.  Sure, they fray a little.  I burn the fuzz off of them with the bic lighter every now and then.  wait till it dries and add a little more glue. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 06:59:13 pm »
I use heavy braided outdoor coat thread.  I got a spool of it at walmart for a couple of dollars.  It is very strong, especially when soaked in superglue.  I have even used it as serving before.  I use it to wrap points, feathers, and nocks.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:37:54 pm »
I use heavy braided outdoor coat thread.  I got a spool of it at walmart for a couple of dollars.  It is very strong, especially when soaked in superglue.  I have even used it as serving before.  I use it to wrap points, feathers, and nocks.

I have that stuff I think.  Coats and Clark? It's like thick strong poly blended thread?