Author Topic: String marerials  (Read 2469 times)

MtDent

String marerials
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:25:27 am »
Hey all. I'm In the process of making my first bow. It is a 68" oak board bow that I'm aiming 35 pounds at 27 inches with. I'm getting to the point where Im ready to start tillering and I wanted to know what you guys use for string both for long string and the actual bow string. I heard that you could use fishing line. If so, I have over a half mile of 12 pound test I could use for that ;) let me know what you guys think!

Offline carpentertimw

Re: String marerials
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:29:16 am »
B-50 of course! ;D

Offline wasanchez

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:31 am »
I make my own with artificial sinew.  Works well for me.

Walt
Walter Sanchez
Moulton, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:56:17 am »
Yep, I with Walt.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:05 am »
Any strong cordage will work for a long string. The less stretch the better. Once you get 6" to 8" of tip movement on the long string you want to go to a low brace of about 3" to 4" on a regular string. That comes up pretty quick so have a regular bow string ready. A spool of B-50 will cost you about the same as a made up string so you might as well learn to make strings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

MtDent

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:10:52 am »
Hmmm. Okay. Where can I get B-50? Or artificial sinew? There are some sporting goods stores around here but I haven't been in them to see what they have. I'd rather not order something off the Internet because it'll take forever and I'm ready to start doing something! And I'm assuming that fishing line wouldn't work too well from the comments?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:45 am »
You might find B-50 at an archery shop especially if they carry trad bows.
  You can order from 3Rivers and have the string in 3 or 4 days. Give them a call. They have quick service.
  Artificial sinew is very similar to B-50 except it hasn't been stretched. To make a good string from art sinew you will have to get the stretch out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »
I tried both and stick with B-50.  I tried arty sinew on a bow once and pre-stretched it like crazy (hung 40 pound weights from each strand for 3 days).  When i made the string i hung weight from it again to further prestretch and take the looseness out of the twist.  Strung the bow at about 4" brace, turned around and it was laying on the handle!  >:(  Gave up and went to b-50 :D

Cabelas around here sells flemish twist b-50, but it costs more and their amo measurements aren't always correct.  I'd still say go with 3R as Pat says, they've always been superfast for me.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:07:02 pm »
You can use plain nylon twine for tillering until your real string comes in.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »
Artificial sinew stretches to the moon and back twice. I have made two strings and both stretched at least 6-8", just crazy. B50 is less money and only stretches a few inches. Fast Flight is the real ticket. D10 or D97 is my own favorite.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:38 pm »
With not much money B-50 will be the cheapest option for him. Thats all I have ever used in over 25 years of bow making.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 12:51:14 pm »
  Two kinds of artificial sinew, one is nylon and one is polyester. The polyester is very similar to B-50, the nylon stretches to much to make it useful. I like fastflight for first brace on a self bow because it doesn't stretch and you don't have to bend the bow so far to get it braced at the right height. I have heard that fishing tackle stores sell "spider wire" which is supposed to be the same thing as fastflight.

MtDent

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »
I went to WalMart a week or two ago and bought some 12 pound test fishing line. It's just the standard line though and not braided like Spiderwire is. I guess I'll have to get some B-50 from the internet then. Any idea what size? And I assume color is up to me :P Also, serving material. Should I just go ahead and buy serving material from 3Rivers or should I just make do with something I have around here?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 01:46:57 pm »
Regular fishing line is stretchy nylon. Not useful as a bow string.

Buy B50. Comes in one size (thickness) only; a ¼ pound spool will yield at least 12 strings. Buy a spool; it'll last a long time and it's cheaper than braided fishing line or even artificial sinew. Serving is optional. You could even serve the string with some more B50, but you could also buy a small spool of serving.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

MtDent

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 02:02:49 pm »
Okay cool. Thanks for the help, everyone! I'll order a spool of B-50 then. Hopefully I'll be shooting soon :)