Author Topic: scotochbroom  (Read 1234 times)

Offline sound maker

scotochbroom
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:55:43 am »
 Has anyone made any and what size did they start from and what design they used and how well it went?  Following the advice from randman I got myself some from a lot near me and am going to do some tillering soon and wanted to know about other people's bows they made with it.  Hopefully this go well  ::) and if halfway through they don't all check and die on me :o I think I might do a build along so I can get some advice for it (still relatively new ::) ) and people can tell me I'm about to screw it up before I do and not kill the wood :o ::) :o. with the added bonus there will then be pics! ;D! :laugh:!
   Thanks for any reples.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: scotochbroom
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:41:29 am »
Have you tried a search?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28706.0.html
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7353.0.html
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23967.0.html

Tim Baker is very enthousiastic about the wood:
SCOTCH BROOM is a yellow-flowering little bush that grows along the roadways of California, watered by runoff from the crowned streets. Its like countless other such plants, in that at first glance it seems more like a useless weed than the makings for an first-class bow. There are surely scores of such unsung shrubs waiting to sling arrows as well as the known woods if just given a chance. Scotch Broom is a great little bow wood. Dense and tough. If any size at all it tends to be twisted and gnarly. This wood tends to check easily when drying, so treat it like plum. Use trunks as narrow as 1 in diameter. Two such trunks spliced together at the grip will yield a 66 or so bow. The high crown will be safe, the resulting low mass only improving cast. The narrower the limb the longer the bow should be. But sub 48, even 36, self staves make evil little Indian bows, the shorter ones limited to 40lb with drawlengths just under half of bow length. 50lb-plus, and stronger draws, can be gotten from mid-50 and longer bows.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline sound maker

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »
I did but I forgot to break up the word. Right now I'm think of getting my dad to come with me and "drive" to a spot I keep seeing with piece that got to be more then 5' maybe even 6' and since they're along a fence they're strightish and the flowers ar only at the top. Also I'm waiting until maybe july august to get some cuz they should be taller and thicker.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline randman

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:40:56 pm »
Yeah that stuff can grow 3/8" annual rings on it and if you look at the end you cut, you can literally count the monthly rings.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.