Author Topic: Other nock materials  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Will Carothers

Other nock materials
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:55:06 pm »
Hey guys, im going get some wood for my first warbow, im gonna try to find some ipe and hickory and maybe some ash for a lighter bow for target shooting. But my question is, are there any woods i can use in the shape of the traditional horn nock? I know i could even just do selfnocks, or tip overlays, but i was thinking maybe some left over ipe, or some other really dense wood.

PS: i posted this in the English Warbows page as well, but i thought a lot of you here may have better ideas.

And i think it would work if i did it just like many "siyahs" that go onto the tip just like a horn nock, but out of wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Other nock materials
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:03:43 am »
I don't think I'd trust wood "horn" nocks and especially on a heavy bow. Why don't you get some cow horn tips and make your own. You don't need to put them on until the bow is tillered anyway.
  Ask on the "trading Post" about the horn tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:21 am »
I see no reason why a wooden "horn tip" wouldn't work. People make overlays that mimic half a horn nock routinely. Is there any reason to believe that making the overlay encircle the whole tip would change the stresses?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 06:28:29 am »
i'm with Patb, especially on a war bow, that high # can be a killer, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:37:36 am »
The traditional horn nock is a right pain until you have have done a few. I'd suggest a horn overlay is a great compromise, quick, easy, can me made to look a bit like the traditional thing.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.