Author Topic: I'm all over the place!  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

I'm all over the place!
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:43:04 pm »
Took two bows shooting with a batch of unspined arrows.  Man...  :-[  New bow, new arrows..

it wasn't pretty.  One flies, flew with a wide tail corkscrew spin like a plane propeller.  What causes that?    One I missed my target altogeather and hit another target further left and down range.   :-[ ???

Offline JEB

Re: I'm all over the place!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:19:01 am »
I think your first sentence answered your question. Not spind  properly will cause arrows to fly erratic.  If you post your draw length and bow weight I can recommend an aluminum arrow size.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 12:07:20 pm »
  I THINK JEG NAILED IT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:07:30 pm »
Took two bows shooting with a batch of unspined arrows.  Man...  :-[  New bow, new arrows..
it wasn't pretty.  One flies, flew with a wide tail corkscrew spin like a plane propeller.  What causes that?    One I missed my target altogeather and hit another target further left and down range.   :-[ ???

Bad corkscrew arrow flight like that in my experience is caused by fletching issues or a bent shaft at the fletching end.  I have a test set of arrows to test arrow spine and it honestly takes a pretty good amount of spine mismatch before it's really noticeable.  And, normally spine problems just show up as left or right misses after some initial fishtailing.  I'm betting your new bow had as much to do with your trouble as the arrows.  2 bows can shoot wildly different.  Then, once your confidence is rattled, it only gets worse.  Best to change only 1 thing at a time so you can troubleshoot the problem.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »

Bad corkscrew arrow flight like that in my experience is caused by fletching issues or a bent shaft at the fletching end.  I have a test set of arrows to test arrow spine and it honestly takes a pretty good amount of spine mismatch before it's really noticeable.  And, normally spine problems just show up as left or right misses after some initial fishtailing.  I'm betting your new bow had as much to do with your trouble as the arrows.  2 bows can shoot wildly different.  Then, once your confidence is rattled, it only gets worse.  Best to change only 1 thing at a time so you can troubleshoot the problem.

George
Sounds right to me.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 12:58:06 am »
Well I picked up a new bag O sticks today.  I'll have some new arrows for the next shoot and hopefully some practice time and .... OK I'll get out the spine tester. 

Do you guys bother to reduce a bamboo arrow spine or just work with spine weights you have, collecting what you need and setting aside the ones that are too heavy?

I'm making a bow with an arrow shelf this time.  I think more center shot will give me a wider range on the acceptable spine weights.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »
I just take the spine that Mother Nature deals out.  I think that bamboo/cane is pretty consistent stuff, if it is all dried the same. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:51:10 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 05:43:48 pm »
Cane may be more forgiving, but it still should be tested to make sure it is close to the right spine. If it is too far off it can still have issues.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 09:25:35 pm »
I am sure you are right as rain Justin.  Buying materials from a store, you probably have them spined in a wide range of stiffness....   I am lucky to get to cut mine myself,  and with fat end being close to the size of my 3/8 open end wrench,  and all from the same spot,  they are fairly uniform for a natural shaft.  I probably would shoot better if I took more time and spined them like I ought to.   I got away from it about the time that I had enough bows stock piled around that needed heavier or lighter arrows! 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi