Author Topic: sinew care after harvest  (Read 9004 times)

Slaughter

sinew care after harvest
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:05:22 pm »
Hello all,

I hope everyone had a great Yule/Christmas.
I haven't been around much lately so I'm catching up on my reading today, but I have a question.
I'm not sure which section to post it in so I'm going to post it here as it relates to the first bow I'm planning.I harvested a good bit of back and leg sinew from a nice young spike buck I took yesterday. I'm not sure how to store it or care for it until I'm ready to put it to use.It will eventually be a part of my first red oak board bow,either some wraps or as part of the backing.
Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thank you all in advance,  Tony

Offline DanaM

Re: sinew care after harvest
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:08:51 pm »
If its freshed and hasn't been scraped and dried just freeze it.
If you have scraped it clean and dried just put it  somewhere dry and where the dogs can't
get to it. You can pound and seperate it and store it zip lock baggies also.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Slaughter

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:11:54 pm »
Thank you Dana,
It is fresh and I scraped it fairly well when I took it. freezing would probably be best since it isnt dry yet.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:15:59 pm »
I would dry it and pound and separate it much easier to store.
Also less chance that the wife will find it in her freezer and toss it out ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Slaughter

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 03:18:29 pm »
Ok I,ll do that then.
My wife is more likely to steal it for her own use than throw it out......I'll have to hide it no matter what >:(

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 03:20:09 pm »
You can pound and seperate it and store it zip lock baggies also.

I dry it on my windowsill and keep it in a ziplock baggie on top of the fridge.

My wife can't reach it up there.
:D

I take sinew off roadkills whenever I pass them on the way to work. I've collected twenty or thirty pieces of leg sinew this year.
Doug from Missouri

Slaughter

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 03:44:22 pm »

[/quote]

I dry it on my windowsill and keep it in a ziplock baggie on top of the fridge.

My wife can't reach it up there.
:D

[/quote]LOL my wife would get out the ladder if she couldn't reach it.I had a couple of nice pieces of leg bone worked into handle blanks for a knife.came home one day and she had swiped them to use as deco on a possibles pouch she made for a friend of ours >:(

Glenn R.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 04:56:11 pm »
PepeLep, thats a great idea---I pass hundreds of road kills a year and never thought of that :D

duffontap

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 05:12:25 pm »
I don't think that would be legal in Oregon.  I think roadkills are considered sacred here. 

I put my sinew in my drying box at about 90 degrees to get them dried out before they start to smell. 

J. D.

wvfknapper

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 08:34:16 pm »
Tony

I cut out over 500 deer leg sinew this fall,, I cut mine out of the leg,, put them in a bucket of water that has about 1/3 cup bleach (to kill any bacteria) then after I got the bucket half full , I take the sinew out and pull them through a rag or hand towel to remove the slime and lay them on a window screen frame to dry,, they dry in a few days and then you can just put them in a box and set on a shelf until needed.....Be careful, dogs love them..............The back sinew I just scrape off all the meat, wash good then use a cloth's pin and hang them to dry, don't take long either.

wvflintknapper

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 12:43:03 am »
I dry mine in my american harvest food dehydrator, no special treatment, dry it, pound it, seperate when needed.
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 11:58:34 am »
JD, if you only take the leg sinew nobody complains. I would really like the backstrap also but if I cut in that far they think you are getting something usefull and they don't like it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah