Author Topic: Straighten bow wood?  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Stanley2015

Straighten bow wood?
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:51:44 pm »
Just started to make a new bow, the wood isnt 100% straight so, is there a way to straighten the wood before i start shaping it?

Thanks for any advice!
Bowyer 4 life!

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Straighten bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:42:33 pm »
Could you post a few photos of your bow stave???
That way we can see where the starting point is.

Self bows don't have to be straight.  That said, wood can be straighten by heating it.
Steam or dry heat from a heat gun.  Both work fine.

When I started straighting bow staves I used a large cook pot, half full of water, on the stove and two small oak trees in my yard.  Steamed the crooked spot for about 30 minutes.  Wrapped the steamed spot in a old towel and then soaked the towel in hot water.  Ran out the door like a mad man, slung the towel off and straighten the stave between the two trees. 
According to my wife it was a sight to watch.

Hold it just past straight for several minutes.  Then hit with cold water from a hose.
Works great.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline darwin

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »
if the string tracks down the middle of the bow don't worry about it, if this is the stave you just cut then its still wet and you can steam it to straighten it, (but imo its still too wet to work on) if its a board you bought then i wouldn't try to straighten i would just get a new one. for my first bow i bought a nice board of red oak at home depot and followed the build along on poor folks bows it made a pretty good bow. selecting good wood is a crucial part in learning to build a bow (though with enough skill some people can turn firewood into a bow.
 im not the most experienced person on here so take my advice with a grain of salt

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:59:21 pm »
I have a few simple rules I live by bending wood.
  • Only the tips and handle need to align, everything else can be wacko.
  • Side-to-side bends are the hardest bends. You get the most deflection bending in the handle so I bend there if possible.
  • Thinner wood bends easiest so I bend after floor tillering and after narrowing the handle.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Stanley2015

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:44 pm »
I'll see what i can do about pics. Next week maybe? Also im making it into a flat bow but im not sure it'll work seeing as the tip is 1 in. diameter. Thoughts?
Bowyer 4 life!