Author Topic: Bamboo question  (Read 882 times)

Offline phoenix

Bamboo question
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:37 am »
G'day guys,

I've just been wondering recently about the possibility of making a bamboo backed bamboo bow. That is, my thinking was that you could cut two slats out of a pole and glue them with the insides of the slats together. Would the outside of bamboo be too bad in compression for this? Could it be achieved with significant trapping of the back?
Any thoughts on the idea would be appreciated. thanks.

Tom

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Bamboo question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:26 am »
Yes, that is perfectly possible. The outside, as opposed to the inside, of the bamboo is best in both compression and tension. No need to trap the back, but a little trapping may be wise.
You could add a core, if the bamboo is too thin or if you like the contrasting look of this wood in the center.

It is crucial to tiller all lams seperately, prior to gluing. Only then it is possible to end up with a nicely tillered bow, since tillering after gluing is hardly possible because you cannot tiller from the belly (only from the sides).

There is a perfect build-along on TradGang for a boo backed boo laminated bow. I cannot post the link directly, because that site is supposedly too commercial. Click this Google-search link and hit the first result. It'll help you a lot.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:21:44 am »
Lynn Harrelson has made a bunch of bamboo backed bamboo bows in the past, he used to sell them on his website and as vender at tournaments.

Another friend of mine has made several, she said she tillers them with heat.   

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:57:56 pm »
as above , perfectly possible..usualy they have a wooden core between the bamboo. The belly boo is heat treated for better compmression  qualities but not  absolutely necessary, you'll still get a working bow.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......