Author Topic: Neck knife and point  (Read 1750 times)

Offline bushman

Neck knife and point
« on: May 20, 2012, 04:01:22 pm »
Here are a few pictures of a point I made and my neck knife. Both are from 1/4 inch glass, I used copper, antler, steel, and iron to pressure flake these two. I carved the knife handle from a spalted alder branch, and I also carved the sheath from a dead branch of alder but it doesn't have any spalting in it. I made a 3 braid cord to hang the knife around me neck. Thanks fro looking.
Bushman

Offline bushman

Re: Neck knife and point
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:03:27 pm »
The braided neck string is also made from deer sinew.
Bushman

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:45 pm »
That's cool, I realy like that.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:58:33 am »
Very unique knife and sheath! Well done

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline neuse

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:18:32 am »
Good work.
How did you make the sheath?

Offline carpentertimw

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:10:27 pm »
if your not careful your going to end up with Homeland Security on your tail because of the possibility of using these to hijack an airplane >:D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 04:25:37 pm »
Nice work bushman! I'm liking that sheath too. Guessing you whittled it in two halves?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bushman

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:02 am »
Thanks for all the replies.
I made the sheath from a 4 inch diameter dead log of alder, that I cut it to the over all length that I wanted. I used a chisel to take off edges of wood on two sides till it got to the size I wanted. I cut one  of the other two sides flat, set it the flat side and sawed it in half, took a rasp and then file to ether half to make sure they mated up tight. I smoothed off the outside face on the halfs and drew the profile of the blade on the inside. I then carved out the wood inside the lines with a chisel till the blade fit. Then I took my knife and whittled the outside down to the overall thickness I wanted. I made up some spruce pitch glue and put a little dab on the bottom and two on ether side of one half and pressed the other half against it. I waited for it to harden, then I cut a groove all the way around it just above the top and just bellow the bottom. Made some gelatin glue and socked some deer sinew in it, then rapped it around those two grooves. I let it dry with a piece of wood in it so that it wouldn't shrink too much. After it dried for a few days I put the knife in to it, to make sure it fit. Then I went and put two wholes in the back side to put the neck lanyard through, which I should have done before I put the two halfs together. Thanks again.
Bushman

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 03:29:29 pm »
very cool. something about glass screams abo to me. using whats available
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline bushman

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:43:33 pm »
Thanks jamie.
Bushman

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:40 pm »
That is just too cool!  Very nice!    Josh