Author Topic: Yew Flat Bow  (Read 6896 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Yew Flat Bow
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 10:30:05 pm »
The skins really pop on that stick. Nice job, Dean!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 12:28:21 am »
that is a handsome bow, full draw looks super smooth and graceful, I like it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 12:35:45 am »
Nice yew bow, Dean. I've only made a few yew bows but I have developed a great respect for yew as a bow wood...and it's not as delicate than most think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 12:52:36 am »
Dean that's a real beauty.. That two color contrast is classic and then the skins just add to it.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:07 am »
Very Pretty !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bcbull

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 01:24:22 am »
DEAN YOU DID REAL GOOD ON THAT ONE   HAHA I REALLY LIKE THEM SKINS ON IT HA I BETTER GET MY BUTT IN GEAR AND MAKE THAT SNAKEY OSAGE  BUT FIRST DUTY CALLS GOTTA GO DO A 10-14 DAY JOB THEN MOJAM TIME I CANT WAIT TO SHOOT IT BROCK >:D >:D :P

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 06:22:09 am »
Beautiful bow Dean,I have only done a few yew bows but love the wood and working with it,looks like you done justice to that piece. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 08:38:46 am »
Thanks again for all the nice replies. And Soy it is 1-1/2" wide at the fades to midlimb then tapers down. Yew is definently a trememndous bow wood. To bad it is very limited to get a hold of for bows. Anybody out there in Yew country would like to try some yellow wood give me a call and I would be glad to work a trade for some. Dean

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »
Great lookin bow Dean. I can't wait to see that one at mojam. Lookin forward to seeing you there.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 02:58:03 pm »
That's a dandy! love the contrast on the handle.  Looks so fun to shoot.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 07:52:34 pm »
very nice job on that one. I would shoot the bow for a while before taking any off. yew can take a little set.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 03:04:12 am »
That looks like a pretty wide design for yew, I don't know if you will have to worry about any set with that bow.  Juniper Junkie, has worked more yew than I have, so you might want to shoot in a little more yet.  But if you do need to remove weight, and the skins allow it, taking it from the sides would be my suggestion.

I have traded Dean some yew for osage and he set me up with some beautiful osage.  Would be glad to trade with you again Dean.  I just need to get my butt up to the mountain again, and get enough yew that I can hang on to at least some of the clean staves for myself.  ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso