Author Topic: Knapping materials in SW Louisiana  (Read 1511 times)

Offline chertle

Knapping materials in SW Louisiana
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:44:50 pm »
I am tired of working glass and currently on the search for rock.  In a couple of weeks I am traveling from Southern Indiana to Lake Charles Louisiana.  Anyone know of some good areas to search for rock?  I am not asking for honey holes just an idea of areas that if I pass by a good creek or something I can try my luck >:D.  Also I will be stuck in Lake Charles for two weeks unable to knap and would love to at least look for some material if any exists in that area.  Thanks in advanced for any help you can give me ;)
Leslie
Indiana

Offline bubby

Re: Knapping materials in SW Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 02:54:49 am »
why don't you take your knappin' kit with you, beat's sitting around wishin' you were knappin', Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:36:53 am »
Chertle, If your going thru MO. there is Burlington flint, I know Mo. is a big state an me not being from that area sure doesn't help ya, Maybe Tim O will see this he is from the show me state.  Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:51:33 am »
That makes more sense, pick some up while traveling. I don't think your going to find anything knappable in Lake Charles, unless theres some opalized palm wood laying around ::). I've never been there but would imagine the rock gardens outside of restaurants would be about the only source..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:53:59 am »
hmm...I just noticed your signature...Leslie, Indiana.  your hubby knaps...I think I'm putting two and two together or am I mistaken?  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline chertle

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:55:12 am »
Cowboy.......sorry that is what I meant.  I was wondering what states between Indiana and Louisiana might have some materials.  Areas I could stop at on my way or even tweak my trip to make sure I go through them.  You are right......there isn't much in Lake Charles but I know it is close to Texas etc so I was just wondering if I could travel a little bit in the evening and look.  Bub....I would love to take my knapping kit but I don't know where I would do it on campus....what do you do with all the sharp flakes?  I wouldn't want to leave them and can't pack a tarp.  I will look at Missouri!!! Thanks for the help so far!  Derik....you are a quick one.....lol
Leslie
Indiana

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:41 pm »
chertle i bought a cloth tool bag at harbour freight, fits the tools i have plus a cloth painters drop cloth plus some rock, i just pick up the tarp and drop the chip's in the trash, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹