Author Topic: Thin Ringed Osage  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Thin Ringed Osage
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:58:02 pm »
I'm new to bow building and to this site. Although, I have been reading for some time now.  I have decided to try my hand at building an osage flatfow.  I have some year old osage stave that has very thin growth rings about 28-32 rings per inch.  I'm looking at a bow 66" ntn and shooting for 50# @ 28".  My question is .............is it best to back the bow even if I can chase one ring the entire back of the bow?  If backing is best what would be a good backing for a beginner.  Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badger

Re: Thin Ringed Osage
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »
  You won't need to back it, I just finsihed several thin ringed osage bows and they turned out great.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 05:30:45 pm »
Welcome to PA....i would try to keep it at one growth ring the best i could and rawhide back it....and i also wood lay it out a tad wider than you normally wood for normal ringed osage to start with

You could use other backing alternatives but rawhides the simplest and in your case of experience i would keep it as simple as possible.

I personally back any thin ringed osage(anything less than a 1/16")and it sounds like you have only half of that,although if the ring is chased good and you make your dimensions a tad wider then thatll work too,but thats so thin id back it without a doubt

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 07:37:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies...............I'm thinking on backing it with some rawhide.  These ring are very thin and don't want it to explode. Tandy has some goat rawhide that is thin, I've heard that titebond II or III will work.  Now I just need to get working on it.
I'm also going to take your advice to start with it a little longer.
Again thanks for the replies
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:45:22 pm »
You won't need a backing for osage.

Thin ringed osage is not any worse (or better) than thick ringed osage. It's not that you need a backing because the rings are thin or thick. However, you could apply a backing if the back grain is violated, or if additional security is required (such as a hunting bow that may get beaten in the bush and rain).
Leaving a bow an inch or two longer than optinal is also an excellent way for additional security. But thin goat rawhide is certainly great for that as well. Titebond2 or 3 will work fine with rawhide.
Regardless if you apply a backing, good tiller and a prestine back will provide the most durable bow at all times.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:22:51 pm »
  I just checked the ring count on mine and it is 22 per inch. Extremely dense osage and even maintained nearly all the induced reflex. I made a 72#, 62# 50#, 50# and 42# and every single one was a top performer.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:33:31 pm »
trust badger bro he knows i also bulid a lotta thing ring osage never have baked one just follow the rings to best of ur ablity ya may need to take the last ring down with plenty light and just a scraper i also think think ring s preform better and make a faster bow  brock

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »
I don't need to back it either but I'm not a beginner at this.  You won't need to back it unless it is your first of if you can't chase a ring on it. I usually leave them a little wider if the rings are that thin. Rawhide is a good backing. The other possibility is get some experience on a little easier stave. More on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 10:54:25 pm »
At the Classic this year, a gentleman and his father came up and started talking bows with me while I was working on mine.  The guy had his dad show me his bow.  I looked at the back and it had ring violations like crazy.  The rings were paper thin and the back was just swirled all over with them the entire length of the bow.  It was really smooth though.  He said he sanded it real good and soaked the entire back with superglue.  He said it was his dad's favorite bow and he had been shooting it for several years.  It's amazing what osage can handle.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:07 pm »
Lots of good advice. My experience, thin ringed osage can sometimes pop a ring, and it wont necessarily happen straight away. The better the tillering ,  a little longer or wider than usual, the less likely it should happen. Smoothing and burnishing the bows back is also helpful. It can happen from tool marks not being sanded out properly, or if it gets a bit of a ding whilst your out in the woods, you draw the bow and a ring pops
The good news if it does happen, it seldom goes more than one tiny ring deep,all you need to do is unstring it take it back home, superglue the lift then back it with rawhide. Won't lose any weight or shoot any differently.
                                        Hamish.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:21 am »
Just to say i've made some unbacked thin ringed osage bows and all are still shooting fine. It isn't necessary but may be a good idea if you haven't made many bows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 01:40:05 pm »
I suggest a simple rawhide back on it. If your just getting started you will be lucky to chase a clean ring on this stave without draw knifing to China and running out of wood. Get the back as clean as you can and glue some rawhide down. Its super easy and durable. Cover it with skins and the world knows no difference.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.