Author Topic: Layout question  (Read 1362 times)

Offline R H Clark

Layout question
« on: May 28, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »
I've made several bows from straight grain woods and just used straight lines for the layout.I now have some fairly snakey grain Osage.I assume I would lay my center line using the side of the stave as a guide,following the snakey grain.

What I have trouble seeing is how to get my taper without cutting through the grain.I mean if I completly followed the grain,the bow couldn't have any taper.

Should I just duplicate the undulations of the center line as closely as possible through the taper.

I bought Torges book Hunting The Osage Bow.His explanations are a bit esoteric for me as he waxes poetically. It does seem that he either uses very straight Osage or steames it straight.

blackhawk

Re: Layout question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:04:35 pm »

What I have trouble seeing is how to get my taper without cutting through the grain.I mean if I completly followed the grain,the bow couldn't have any taper.

Should I just duplicate the undulations of the center line as closely as possible through the taper.

Yes...you should be able to see the grain lines the best in the sunlight if you are having trouble seeing them...and when you come to a knot you ll have to follow the grain that flows around the knot much like you see water flowing around a rock

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 05:52:07 pm »
With snakey staves, it is crucial for me to get a good center line first. If the stave has been split, the grain was automatically followed. That means the centerline is right between both split sides of the stave. Take a pencil and slide your fingers along the side of the stave. Keep the distance between your fingers the same, and a centerline with a uniform distance from the side will appear. This centerline does not indicate where the string will be. That means the string may currently track off the handle. If you're lucky, the string bisects the centerline in the handle. Snakes in the limbs are great, but you ultimately want the string in the center of the handle. Heat corrections may be necessary to get the string in the center of the handle.
Once the centerline has been established, you can mark your width taper on the back of the stave. Make a small sketch on what your desired width taper looks like, for instance a pyramid-taper from 2" at the fades to ½" nocks. In that case, mark the handle first (still with the centerline as the center of the handle, even if the string does not bisect the handle yet). Mark the fade, so 1.00" each side from the centerline. Mark the nock, so 0.25" from the centerline each side. Mark midlimb (distance tip to handle fade) 0.625" from the centerline each side. Mark quarter limb (halfway between the two previous points) etc. Once you've accurately measured some points on the limbs, you can connect the dots. If you mark every 6" of limb length, you can just connect the dots free hand. Make sure the bottom and top limb are equal in width lay-out. Double check this before you take any wood off. If you accurately lay-out one limb, you can easily use these measurements for the other limb.
A drawknife is the best tool for snakey staves. The knife will automatically follow the grain, so it will guide you along the grain. Get close to the width taper you've just laid out on the back of the stave, but do final width taper with a less aggressive tool.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »
Thanks guys,pretty much what I had in mind. Some rings will have to be cut through to get any taper to the limb but I just need to follow grain as much as possible so I cut as few grain lines as possible and still get my taper.Does this sound correct? I was thinking I would mark the taper every inch out from the center line and just free hand between the marks.

One other thing.The stave was split from a fairly large log so it does follow the grain on both sides.One side has a lot more snake than the other though,so I don't think I can just use the side as a guide when marking the center.Will I just have to try and see the grain and follow it as close to center as possible to get my center line?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:22:13 pm »
You draw your center line following the lateral grain which runs tip to tip. Then measure on either side of that line to  get your width. When you do your width taper don't worry about violating those lines. They are violated equally on each side so it is a wash. More on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/layout.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!