Author Topic: Bow Repair Question (pictures added)  (Read 1793 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Bow Repair Question (pictures added)
« on: May 28, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »
Well I went camping this weekend.  We were gone from camp and I left my bow in the tent.  My dads dog worked her way in the tent, destroyed my arrows, and chewed on the lower nock end of my bow. 

The bow is a BW selfbow.  My question is, can I cut say an inch off the lower limb cut new nocks and retiller the lower limb?  The layout of the bow is center of the handle is center of the bow. I thought I read somewhere that the bottom limb can be shorter.

Thanks for your comments in advance. No pictures because the camera is broken. Sorry.

Tell
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:01:48 pm by rileyconcrete »
Tell Riley

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Bow Repair Question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:19:43 pm »
Don't saw any off!
We really need pics, but the extreme tip doesn't take a lot of force as there is very little leverage. You can probably fill any gouges with sawdust & epox mix and reshape the nock. Or fill first then rasp down the back at the very tip and add an overlay.
I repeat DON'T saw off the tip.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:25:12 pm »
 A picture is worth a thousand words. Did they really chew the crap out of it and make it unrecognizeable, or is it mainly just cosmetic damage like teeth marks? You might be able to just sand or rasp the teeth marks out without altering the tiller noticeably.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 03:35:57 pm »
There are alot of teeth marks and they are deep.  Mostly right at the nock.  I am mostly worried of lifting a splinter on the back.  I will see if I can get pictures from my phone to post here.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:45:28 pm »
WOW. I love dogs....................but...................Good luck with your repair, hope all works out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: Bow Repair Question ( pictures added)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »
  I will try and see if these pictures will post. Sorry they are not the best but that is all I have right now.
Tell Riley

Offline Del the cat

Re: Bow Repair Question (pictures added)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:39:10 pm »
The big dark streak on this one was all rot, filled with Yew dust and epoxy. Mix it drier than you think, as when its compressed in it the epoxy soaks in.
If you pick out any damage, maybe open everal small holes into one biger clean one and then. Once the holes and marks are filled you can re-shape and put on an overlay.
Hmmm, I'm repeating myself... but only 'cos I'm right  ::)

this is it before filling. It had a Waterbuffalo horn overlay added to finish it.

Del
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:47:30 pm by Del the cat »

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »
Thanks Del.  That is what I will probably do.  What kind of epoxy do you use?  Would TB3 work?  It seems to be very strong.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »
I use a 10 minute epoxy '151' brand (I don't use Araldite Rapid' I think it's horrible stuff). Dunno how Tb would be with sawdust.
Adhesive instructions always make me laugh...
How long does it take for 10 minute Epoxy to go off?
Half an hour of course!
Presumably 1 hour epoxy takes 2 or 3?
I usually pull my bench light down close to anything I'm gluing an let the extra warmth help it cure (I keep a fillamnt bulb in it not one of those compact flourescents).
Putting some pvc tape over the epoxy and a bit of rubber strapping wrapped tight can help keep it compressed and in place while it cures too.
Del
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:55:32 pm by Del the cat »

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 07:00:12 pm »
Tell, I would not use TB3 or the other wood glues like it, they can shrink as they dry and may take a couple applications to get what you want.  I use either super glue and sawdust or epoxy and sawdust.  Sears used to sell a filled epoxy that was great in these applications, but it was dark gray and looked bad on a bow.  If the spot on the bow is going to bend, I use epoxy and sawdust.  If it isn't going to bend I normally use super glue and sawdust.  However, the color is not going to match perfectly, even if you use sawdust for the bow you're fixing.  Not sure why that is.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX