Author Topic: Osage with Cedar Tips (Finish Pictures Added)  (Read 26230 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Osage with Cedar Tips
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 06:58:09 pm »
Took longer than I thought as I got a call from a landowner I'm working to get a hog lease with down here, just 30 miles from home.  He's a very nice guy and I think it's going to work.  I'm excited about it. :)

I have the bow ready to shoot now.  It is right on 50#@28".  The tiller is not perfect, the limb with natural recrurve retained it but the limb I heat bent lost it.  However, the bow took almost no set.

I tried to get a full draw shot, but had a lot of problems holding the camera still while pulling the full weight.  The best I got is only at about 25" and isn't all that clear.

You can see there's too much bend inboard and not enough mid-limb out.  I was working on it but reached draw length and weight before I got it right.  I made the mistake of doing a little too much tillering on the long string and the draw weight was too low when I first got it strung.  I confess I really tried to avoid overstressing the splice joints and got the limbs bending further before I strung it up.  However, the joints are not reinforced with a wrap and so far are taking the strain.  It also has one limb with some natural twist.  Unless it causes me trouble I'm going to leave it.  The good news with osage is that you can make some tillering mistakes and still get a nice bow.

Now, I need to tape on the floppy rest and shoot the bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 12:14:57 am »
Just called it a day.  Spent some time putting snakeskin on the trade bow.  Here are the 2 bows, the spliced bow is just under 58" n2n and the trade bow is 66" n2n if memory serves (and it often doesn't).

George

St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 12:43:13 am »
Very nice George.  You sure make some beautiful bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 12:45:19 am »
George that's a great idea. I really like the look of the contrast in woods.

That trade bow is looking mighty fine ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 12:52:39 am »
Thanks guys.  Hey Cip, that skin should look familiar. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 08:49:50 am »
  GOOD DEAL
  But one thing I've did this with 2 osage but I adDed osage. The one splice that the bent with the limb did'nt make it. But the one that I cut short enough that the splice did'nt been came out ok.
  I cut the tips down to where the last 4 inchs of the tips did'nt been. Like a regure bow is done. That will be lighter tips for sure,you sure won't had anny hand shock with those light tips.
  But like I said I'd make them not been. But who knows your's might make it.
     GOOD LUCK
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 09:35:22 am »
Yes, I was very careful to leave the joint full thickness so it wouldn't bend there.  The narrower tip was threatening to bend outboard of the splice when I was floor tillering, but doesn't appear to with the rest of the limb working at draw weight.  That was a factor in why I shot for a lower draw weight.  Good thing too, since I didn't nail the tiller.

I think I'll laminate osage and cedar heartwood for tip overlays.  I also plan to wrap the splices before calling the bow done.  I want to get the finish on the bow first so the belly cedar heartwood really stands out.  I'm hoping the joint will show through the sinew wrap.  If it weren't so non-primitive I'd wrap it with clear monofilament fishing line.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 11:07:31 am »
The cedar tipped bow looks great!! Hows it shoot? That trade bow also looks awesome G!
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Deo

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 01:45:59 pm »
That is a sweet looking bow love the splice work and the contrast between the two woods. great work

Offline half eye

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 04:41:47 pm »
Mr. G,
     That trade bow is outstanding sir....But you have to know that the little "D" is just super.
rich

blackhawk

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »
Cools beans george...a couple years ago a guy on another forum v spliced purpleheart levers on a piece of ash...he didnt wrap it either and as far as i know it shot for a couple years,and prob still is....he no longer is on the forum so i dont know if its still alive...but id say if ya used a good glue then it should be fine....and in my opinion it looks cooler seeing the splice

A year n a half ago i prepped a short osage piece,and two pieces of ERC to splice into the osage core.....but that project has been sitting on my shelf now for a year n a half....maybe its time to finish it...lol ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 06:41:35 pm »
Thanks guys.  I haven't shot it yet.  Hope to this afternoon, but the wife is coming home tonight and I'm scrambling to do some  things I should have done earlier. :-[  Either way I'll finish it up tomorrow and get her to take a money shot.

I thought you'd like it Rich, I do too.  There's something about a short bow that makes me smile.  I intended for this one to be bendy handle, but I'll have to shoot it to see if I can feel the handle give.  I can't tell from the pictures and I ran out of draw length before I worked the handle much.

I used smooth-on BH, it is good stuff and has never failed me no matter how sloppy the joint is.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »
The question of whether it bends in the handle is answered, it does.  It shoots great.  I shot my 3Rivers test arrow set, and the 40# shafts shoot the best.  There's just a hint of hand shock, bad tillering no doubt.  I just shot 1 group but it was a good one.

If you look close you can see an arrow strike on that white feathered 45-50 shaft.  I should have gone and moved it after it tipped down as I hit it twice and ruined the arrow. :'(  I'll finish the bow up, wrap those splices, and then shoot it some more.  I rather like the handle the way it is, may leave it that way, add a thinner floppy rest and a cord wrap to hold down the rest.  Have to think about some adornment for the back. :-\  Been a good couple days of bow building. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 12:34:10 am »
Nicely done, George! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 02:36:44 am »
George, I thought that skin looked familiar ;D

That's a sweet D bow for sure. If ya need to dress it up let me know.. I have some skin and a technique that I haven't seen yet, but I'm rather a newbie still.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.