Author Topic: Can this be repaired?  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Can this be repaired?
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:33:09 pm »
Here is a real nice little Osage bow that I just about had done and I was slipping the string off  and there must have been a splinter in the string knock and when I slipped it off it ripped out a chunck of wood. What would you do with it if it was yours. Dean

Offline sharpend60

Re: Can this be repaired?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:57:18 pm »
Bondo.

Seriously, I dunno about that one...
Ive broke my fair share, but never quite like that.

You could pike it with a battle axe or perhaps an underlay of sorts; siyahs maybe?

I actually dont mind breaking bows, just so I can fix em.
My advice is to try something, even if some folk say it aint gonna work.
You're bound to learn something, even if it's how to waste time and how to break more wood.

Bummer.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:04:02 pm »
I was considering Osage dust and super glue. The last six inches of the bow is supposed to be nonbending any way.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 08:06:50 pm »
glue the pc back and glue a thin strip on the belly at the damage making shure to go past the damaged area then add the same to the other tip, but you might just want to build a new bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:57 pm »
You beat me to it.  For sure you could do a glue/sawdust matrix and it would hold, though it wouldn't look that good.  If there's enough width left you might be able to just narrow the limbs more there.  If not you could glue an underlay on and narrow it, making it a molly wannabe.  The only other thing I can think of is sanding it flat at an angle there and gluing a "plug" on which you could then sand back to the limb's shape.  That's all I can think of so far.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 09:37:34 pm »
I would glue the piece back on then wrap with heavy tread and soak the thread with super glue.
Steve Bennett

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:44:15 pm »
I agree with Bubby about gluing the piece back on. Then I would wrap it with real sinew set in hide glue. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:16:56 am »
+1 on what Jawge said!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »
x2 what George, Buddy and Sonny said!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 12:59:58 pm »
Like all the other guys say.
BUT, you need to check if there is a crack extending down the limb fom the missing piece.
Such cracks are a pig because it's difficult to get glue right into 'em, if you wedge them open too much it can extebnd the crack.
If there is a crack, wedge it open a hint with a thin knife blade and put in low viscosity superglue, bind it tight with thread while the glue goes off, then use one of the fixes described.
Another aternative is to rasp/file out the damaged area to a flatish face (or long curved but flat face) and glue in a patch and then shape it back into the original.
Heres a link to a similar patch I did a while back on the edge/back of an ELB.
http://www.bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/knot-repair.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 01:49:54 pm »
This is what I have done so far on it. As far as putting the piece back in and glueing it down well it was left on the kitchen table a little to long and it got pitched. I got the Dremmel out and cleaned out all the lose wood fibers and took the split back anoth quarter inch because I figured the crack went farther than I could see then gave it a coat of superglue. When that dried I put on another coat of glue then started applying little layers of Osage dust. Kept doing this with light sanding in between and this what I have. I will wrap this place like the fellows said or maybe put a wrap of silk on this. I will let it dry all day before I wrap it. Dean

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 02:43:33 pm »
Lookin' good.
I'm sure that'll be fine with a wrap of thread over the inboard end  will be fine (massage epoxy or TB or somesuch into it).
I don't think the tip end will be a prob as there's V little leverage there.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »
Nice save.  Hopefully it holds for you.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »
That looks really nice.  That should work just fine since it's on the compression side at the tip.  Great save.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bcbull

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 08:53:35 pm »
dean how long is it ?  if long enough id cut er down re shape the tips n make new nocks re tiller it  ifnot i guess what ur doin is gonna work ha  brock >:D