Author Topic: How much set should a selfbow have?  (Read 9073 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: How much set should a selfbow have?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 10:03:43 pm »
Of course one can avoid set by over-building. The trick is to get as close to no-set as possible without overbuilding. In general, that will result in the optimal balance between performance and durability for a given design.
Gordon

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 11:27:19 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Well the set seems to be about the same but I haven't shot the bow enough to see how it is going to settle. It is shooting really well at the new length but it draws a bit heavier now. Smooth, but heavier, or maybe I'm going crazy.

I'll update as I continue to shoot it but I'm really enjoying it. The bow came with the string grooves and tips cut and it was a lot of fun to do that on my own this time around.

I think I just need to get a new project going so I stop messing with this one.  ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 01:38:20 am »
  One tip for reducing and almost eliminating set. Erics tillering gizmo. If you use that right off the bat before you have bent the limbs much you will get off to a good start. Almost eliminates the possibility of minor hinges that cause set. I don't like the circular tiller it gives so when I get to about 23 or 24" of draw I start getting the outer and middle limbs working a bit more. I generaly will put about 2 or 2 1/2" reflex in a bow and like to mainatin a full 1" or 1 1/2" after the bow is shot in.