Author Topic: BRAVE Pixar bow-action  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

BRAVE Pixar bow-action
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:34:57 am »
http://www.hulu.com/watch/333747/brave---trailer-2

This was an amazing clip that my 10 year old just showed me.  The animation of the archer's paradox is amazing! Did I just say amazing twice?  It is because this video is amazing.   :D Can't wait to see the movie. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: BRAVE Pixar bow-action
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:22:43 am »
My kids want to see it too. Looks entertaining..

Ah...  Zeno's Paradox the concept by which the tortoise is able to beat the hare in Aesop's fable.. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:37:06 am »
Zeno's paradox? Hmmm, should I google it and risk being kept up all night with philosophical quandrymiring?   OK..too late, I am blown away by what I just read on wikipedia..but luckily I won't be up all night, because there is no such thing as movement or time, according to Zeno.  I kinda had a feeling about that.
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:16:42 am »
Can't split a wood arrow like that but pretty cool none the less.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »
Scowler, what do mean you can't split a wood arrow like that?  Check out this shot from my pops.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 01:08:13 pm »
WOW!!  Your dad is an amazing shot!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 02:26:39 pm »
Jimbob, according to dad, this shot was made at 28 yards, and those were the only two arrows shot.   8) 

My dad is a pretty good shot.  He missed a huge bull at 8 yards though  ;D

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »
Funny how that works huh?
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 09:01:14 am »
CMB, Great shot your father made.  Let me clarify; You can split a wood arrow.  I've done it more than once.  You can't split a wood arrow the entire lengh of the shaft.  The grain in the wood directs the split.  I'm no expert in this, I saw several episodes of Mythbusters in which they tested the "Robin Hood" shot quite extensively.  Their conclusions were that, due to the grain orientation in the arrow shaft an arrow will always split to one side or the other.  They even showed that the famous arrow splitting scene in the old Robin Hood movie was done with a cane arrow, which apparently can be split end to end.

Offline chertle

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 11:53:54 am »
We just saw the Avengers this weekend and saw the previews for "Brave"  Wow it did look good!!!  I would definitely suggest seeing it on the big screen.  It was really neat just as  preview!!!!  The archery in it was cool ;)  It is exciting to see the archery that is being put into film lately.  The Avengers, The Hunger Games and now Brave!!!  Maybe it will turn kids onto archery!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline SA

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:00:34 pm »
ya it does look pretty good, with all these movies about bows kids are getting into archery more.(neighborhood animals will never be safe again ;D) i have a ton of people wanting bows now , i don't know if i can keep up w/ them.
    i'ts also cool to see the scottish heritage being shown, i think in one of the trailers i watched they were singing in gaelic, pretty cool .my dad speaks it some and has tried to get me to but it is such a hard language to learn  :-\
Shawn Acker

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 03:35:00 am »
Scowler, I still would not say that you cannot spit a wood arrow its entire length.  I agree an shaft that has grain run-off is not going to split the entire length, but maybe you have not seen surewood shafts (douglas-fir shafts my dad robinhooded in the above pic).  Surewood shafts don't have grain run off and straight grain conifer...well, splits straight.  I am sorry but the mythbusters lack of evidence that it could be done is not evidence it can't be done. I have a Master's degree in the sciences and mythbusters lack of scientific rigor drives me crazy, though it makes for good entertainment. 

CMB, Great shot your father made.  Let me clarify; You can split a wood arrow.  I've done it more than once.  You can't split a wood arrow the entire lengh of the shaft.  The grain in the wood directs the split.  I'm no expert in this, I saw several episodes of Mythbusters in which they tested the "Robin Hood" shot quite extensively.  Their conclusions were that, due to the grain orientation in the arrow shaft an arrow will always split to one side or the other.  They even showed that the famous arrow splitting scene in the old Robin Hood movie was done with a cane arrow, which apparently can be split end to end.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »
The arrow flight and paradox is great... someone studied before animating.  I also love the pip-squeek and how the arrow "falls" off his hand/rest when he is trying to shoot. Too good!
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold