Author Topic: Dean Torges Bowmaking Rasp UBR10  (Read 12937 times)

Offline Woodbender

Re: Dean Torges Bowmaking Rasp UBR10
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 12:39:18 am »
I have the UB10. It has a coarse side and a fine side so does the same job as the Nicholson 49 and 50 which together will cost you more than the UB10. The more expensive rasps are so because the teeth are individually raised by hand in a random pattern rather than machine stamped. As a result, they cut smoother, with less grooving, and more easily removed tool marks. I have not had it clog on me. It is sharp and cuts very fast. Well worth the cost compared to the cheapie hardware store rasp I got when I started.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 02:44:55 am »
Woodbender, Just an old man speaking but I think you made a good decision picking up a good quality tool. Quality hand tools are a good investment. They're like old bows, if you take good care of them and don't sell or trade them off, you can retire with them and they'll be worth more than you invested.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 08:02:30 am »
I use the 49 and 50 and unless the wood isn't seasoned good I don't have much trouble clogging,I do keep a file card handy and always clean when I am finished.
 I have tried the paint scraper years ago,didn't really like it as well and a regular scraper,not as good of control for me,also love the Farrier's rasp,especially when I want to hog off some wood. :) I use a 5/32 chain saw file, I buy them in box of 10,pretty cheap that way. I think like a lot of things in bow building,it is all what you get use to.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodbender

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 08:03:04 am »
Thanks Fred. I'm a rank beginner, but my father is a talented woodworker and instilled an appreciation for quality tools. I figured $70 once is better than $20 ten times. I also think you tend to take better care of a tool that cost you something!