Author Topic: Elb or Ewb wood combo ideas  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Will Carothers

Elb or Ewb wood combo ideas
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:16:52 pm »
hey guys, i love longbows, american and english, all the woods ive been using have been best as flat bows, so im thinking i will make a hunting weight elb, i will aim for 70-80# so i can have some wiggle room in case i come in under weight.

Im thinking white oak backed hard maple with a b. walnut core

or maybe hickory backed ash with cherry core,

I have ~5 or 6 1/4 in walnut and cherry laminations im thinking for cores, ive heard great about both w. oak (definately not red, it seems horrible anywhere on a bow) and ive always used hickory, but i think the oak is lighter, so it may be better for a longer bow?

I also want a cheaper belly lam, ive seen bows sold with hickory bellies, but in my experience it really likes a flat rectangle profile, i know ash used to be a material used for ELB's, but i think it likes being flat as well, so i'm thinking hard maple (the soft stuff is horrible) ive seen it in an elb, and im thinking at a long length it may work pretty well.

So... any suggestions?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Elb or Ewb wood combo ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:39:58 am »
You've recently asked pretty much the same questions in this topic, as well as in this topic. Why do you start this new topic? What questions were not aswered in your initial topics? Myself, I think it's better to continue with those existing topics, unless you have fundamentally different questions now.

To answer your questions...can't you get any bamboo or ipé? Especially the ipé is real cheap and has been proven time and again in heavy warbows. Combined with bamboo, or otherwise hickory on the back, it'll make a fine heavy longbow. The other woods you've listed don't fare well in a rounded belly longbow. You should be making a flat belly longbow with the maple or oak on the belly. Straight grained white oak, hickory or bamboo as backing are all fine for a heavy bow. The core is also not that important (cherry or walnut are fine). But it's the belly you need to choose wisely.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:53 am »
What is an Ewb? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Will Carothers

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:04:14 am »
I think its the abbreviation for english warbow

Offline Will Carothers

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:11:55 am »
and i started the new topic because the old ones werent really getting any activity recently, i thought that people would be more open to replying on a topic that no one else had answered. Im sorry.

I was just really hoping for another wood besides the ipe for the belly, just for experimentation, mostly because at my local lumberyard it is very expensive, and being only 15 i dont have large funds. i would be willing to use boo, but i rather the look of a wood backing on an elb, although i find boo looks great on flatbows.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:26:49 pm »
Elm will make a fine d bow!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:30:36 am »
Thanks, Wil. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 02:12:17 pm »
I like bamboo backed Ipe with a maple core.