Author Topic: Knotty Birch Bow (Better pics added, plus squirrel fur grip)  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Slackbunny

This bow was... a process. Its been several months in the making. It snapped once on the tillering board close to the tip and sent a few pieces flying, but I was able to salvage a shorter bow out of it. Good thing I left it really long to start. I heat treated for string alignment and for limb twist. It still has a good deal of twist but it seems to really want to be a bow. The tiller isn't perfect, but thats mainly due to having to work around all the knots.

I was a little lazy removing the bark and cambium, but it actually gave it kind of a cool naturual camo look, so I decided to keep it.

It finished out to 56 pounds at 28". Its 65" tip to tip, and 1 3/4" wide at the fades. I have to say I am shocked that this turned into a bow, I thought for sure it was going to blow up. I've put a couple dozen arrows through it and it shoots nice, buts its no screamer. Still, it might be my favorite one so far.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:20:04 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline dwardo

Re: Knotty Birch Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:58:18 am »
Cool looking bow. Looks like its taken a bit of follow?. Lets have a full draw shot from a more side on view ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:16 am »
Nice job on a challenging piece of wood,good save.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:23:54 am »
Way cool stick! That looks like a real tough one. Nothin wrong with a little set, or string follow on a piece of wood like that. I'd be happy with it. Keep up the good work.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 09:55:54 am »
Very  nice! Nice job on a challenging stave. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:59 pm »
Ain't pretty, but it's cool.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »
It has definitely taken a bit of set, but I'm totally cool with that given what I had to work with. I'm just happy it didn't blow up on me. I plan on wrapping the handle with a squirrel hide that I'm in the middle of tanning.

Sorry for the poor angle at full draw, my girlfriend was in a mood and didn't want to stand around taking pictures of me :'( . I'll try to get a better one up soon, but I'm without a camera at the moment.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 03:19:20 pm »
Here are some much better pictures, and I added a few full draws to make sure I got all angles covered. Plus I added squirel fur to the riser. I tanned the hides myself and I am quite pleased with the look.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Knotty Birch Bow (Better pics added, plus squirrel fur grip)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 03:28:31 pm »
Pretty impressive! I'm afraid I'd have made firewood of that one. Good work.

George
St Paul, TX