Author Topic: Epic Fail!!  (Read 3839 times)

Offline chertle

Epic Fail!!
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:11:24 pm »
I was trying to work some heat treated keokuk and ruined it.  I thought maybe if I could post what I had left you guys could help me figure out where I went wrong.  I don't know if you can tell much detail in the pictures or not but I could use all the help I can get.  I keep trying to thin and get a big ridge in the middle and can't break it down.  Thanks guys!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Epic Fail!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:12:51 pm »
Chertle, If your getting a big ridge in center an you keep losing width it is because your thinning flakes are not going past center thus the ridge in center :(. Make sure your platforms are below center and well abraded then hit with enough force to carry past center. ;D Once you start to get stacks go from a differnt direction , if you keep going at it from the same direction it just keeps stepping an gets worse. >:( The best way is get to a knappin a someone will help you, easy to do hard to explain. :D :D Later Bob

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:33:12 pm »
I second what Bob said :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:46:50 pm »
I'll have to third that one. Did you say your husband knaps? that blade is thick but for a beginner not too bad. You need to get with someone to show you - can't beat that..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:46:47 pm »
With great thinness comes great responsibility...or something like that. ;D

That point is thin enough!  Give yourself some time.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline chief deer

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:06:24 pm »
The piece is not ruined. Make a knife just abrade the mass  that is by your thumb rather heavy. Your edge is already below center pinch between your thumb and middle finger rest tip on little finger tip the piece up a shade to get a good angle an smack it. Now clean the tip with a pressure flaker and staighten up a bit. Keokuck likes a real stiff p;atform and no yellow wristing. Mike

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:09:33 am »
Don't feel bad, I did 2 just like that tonight. And I'd been doing so much better. ::) Didn't take pictures though, not as bold as you. ;)  The guys are giving you good advice, but I know how hard it is to do it, even when you know what you should be doing.  Just keep practicing, you'll get it. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:17 am »
Here is something you can do with those thick in the middle pieces. You may not want to attempt this right now, but if you keep knapping, then at some point down the road you will start thinking about fluting. Hang on to your skinny pieces that have the bulging middles. They are really good for practicing fluting. It is easy to set up the fluting platform on these thick middle pieces. And chances are when you are learning to run big ol flutes, you are going to bust quite a few pieces. So if you break one of these, it is better than breaking a really nice piece you put a lot of time in.

Offline chertle

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:18:03 am »
My husband does knap and he is helping me a ton!!  I think that is why I am doing decently ;)  I do have to say though that I am not asking him for help soon enough.   Mike, I will definitely try what you suggested with making it a knife.  I have a question though........what is yellow wristing?  Thanks for all the advice everyone......I know it can't beat getting in a pit with all of you but I will take what I can get >:D
Leslie
Indiana

Offline StevenT

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 12:24:11 pm »
I think he means don't be afraid to hit it.

Offline chief deer

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:40:04 pm »
A lot of times a guy gets to thinking about breaking the piece and suddemly you get scared to hit it like you mean it. Keokuck and novaculite are a lot alike when it comes to platform prep. They like heavier platforms. Mike

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55:18 am »
thats actually an excellent knife. learning to thin will happen down the road, but look at some true paleo pieces and you'll notice they arent thin at all. makes em weak
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:20 am »
I agree with Jamie, if your going to have a functional knife, you want it to be kinda thick.  That way it is less likely to break on you and youll have room to resharpen it a few times.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline chertle

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 10:04:47 am »
Well.........I tried.  That is all I can say.  I took everyone's advice two nights ago and tried to make a knife out of my failed point.  I was doing really well and actually kinda proud of myself and then I hit it once more and took too big of a flake off.  I would have posted a picture but I didn't want anyone laughing to death ::)  I think my lack of expertise really took a shining with this one!!!  It looks like a butter knife!!!  It is the actual shape of one.....perhaps my inexperience took ya'll's advice a little too literal!!!  Oh well as a lot of you say knap on or keep knapping!!!!  That is what I will do.  Out of school and gonna devote my summer to learning more!!!  Please keep giving me advice because I am listening and learning I just may not be able to show it sometimes ;)
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 11:09:29 am »
I, for one, would really like to see your 'butter knife'!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.