Author Topic: Excitement for the night.  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Excitement for the night.
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:45:24 am »
I was knapping by headlamp when I heard an animal across the yard.
I have been hearing a lot about "coydogs" around here(coyotes breed w/ domestic dogs making a big coyote that isn't afraid of people.
So i turned and looked and saw a set of shiny eyes reflecting my headlamps light back at me.
I whipped out my pocket knife and started shouting to scare whatever it was away.
It then came close enough for me to tell that it was a possum, but it would not stop trotting at me. (my knapping pit is underneath a old swingset thing and takes a good while to get out of)
So I resorted to hissing,
And it worked, it ran off with it's worm tail tucked firmly between it's legs.
Imthink I will be a daylight knapper from now on, it could have been a bigger animal.
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Cherokee B.

Re: Excitement for the night.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »
Sound heart thumping :o Same kinda thing happened to me when I was playing In-the-dark-airsoft, exept that the animals were 5 cyoties (can't remember how to spell right now) They were ciricling a small fawn that we had seen in that area earlier that day. Your mind can sure get frightened when you hear a noise like that :embarassed:

Drew
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men... Colossians 3:23
Don't tread on me!

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:44:49 pm »
I was on an historical trek about five years ago with my cousin.  It was January, and there was a fresh coat of snow blanketing the 80 acres of timber we were camped in.  We had built a semi-permanent shelter near the middle of this stand of timber along a beautiful creek that cuts through it.  As we were sitting by the fire just after sundown, we hear a very slight noise across the creek and saw two eyes fixed on us.  Nothing moved for nearly a minute, and then the animal slipped away quietly.  In the morning we found three sets of fresh tracks...one was a mountain lion's in the snow, the other two were in our britches!  :o
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:27:39 pm »

I am with you 4est Trekker, I had an experience with a BIG panther, when I was about 13or 14 yrs. old, we had camped by a swamp pond, with lots of saw grass around it, and one of my Buddies, from town, said hey look at that big dog, and we all turned, and just then the fire wood we had put on the fire, flared up, and it was the biggest panther I had ever seen in the wild!  Well it turned, and leaped into a big palmetto patch, and never made a sound.  We built the fire into a bonfire, and after awhile, got brave, or stupid, and took,  torches, and our .22's, and went to look, and it was gone, just BIG tracks.  I also was going home one night, with my dog, and I was going through, a section of woods, that had been semi developed, with dirt roads, laid out, but no homes, or lots cleared.  It was near a friend of mine who's Dad raised hogs.  Some were quite nasty, and occasionally got out.  Well it was a nice moonlit night, and all of a sudden there was a big commotion in a big patch of palmettos, and a lot of grunting, well, I went up a pine tree, and my dog went to parts unknown.  I guess he figured that if I was getting out of Dodge, he might as well also.  It had gotten a little dark due to some cloud cover, and once the moon was free of the cover, I could see something in the road, and then saw it just a herd of armadillos!  I had to laugh at myself, I thought sure, I was about to be hog feed!  I called the dog, and we went on home.  I come close to chewing a hole in my seat that night!

Wayne

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:26:53 pm »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:52 am »
Haha, not saying I never thought about it, but the space in which knap is just so tiny and cramped that evenafter the 30 seconds it takes to get out, it takes another 30 to move freely,
And I sorta feltlike I owed it for not being a coy-dog
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.