Author Topic: first bow building group  (Read 3647 times)

Offline iowabow

first bow building group
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:40:23 pm »
On Wed all day and evening Beadman and I will be working with 7 new bow builders.  I am kinda trying to build a primitive group/club for the area.  I told each of them the price from my teaching was to teach one other person what they learn.  So hopefully these 7 will bring 5 more into the circle.  I will post pictures as we are we are working.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: first bow building group
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 07:26:43 am »
Great,good for you,hope it goes well for you. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:10:08 am »
  I hope that gradually groups continue to spring up all over the country. Interesting how sometimes groups will develop a style amoungst themselves. Finding places to hold group builds are difficult in parts of the country. I still have a dream that hear in So Cal we can buy a piece of land with some buildings just for that purpose.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:04:12 pm »
I like how the Tn bow club has things setup but it would not work the same here so I am sure it will take on its on life as it develops.  It is funny that for this group beadman and I will be the experts.  I have so little time in making bows but if we don't do it who will? I wished that we had something like two oaks around here so well I guess I am just going to get things hopping.  I hope we can create a culture of good will and keep it about fun!   Everyone I meet at the Classic made for good role models.  I was kinda thinking I would try to get this "Iowa gang" to travel together in the future and come to the classic. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:10:13 pm »
If not you, then who?

If not now, then when?

I really like the attitude of "each one teach one" and how you are starting out creating a culture of good will.  I really think you are the right person in the right place at the right time.  Won't be long until Isaac is helping teach, I bet!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:37:56 am »
Good for you !
Thats the spirit !
Just go for it !
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:24:54 am »
Maybe all of theses people will come to the iowa jam and will bring a friend.  I am shooting for 40 people this next time around.  That will be double.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 11:13:48 pm »
Ok here are the picture from today. We worked on four bow to floor tiller. I am tired!

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:20:22 am »
Looks like a great time!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:23:37 am »
Excellant, John!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 01:02:28 am »
Pat B I was thinking of you and the crew at twin oaks today.  What a lot of hard work it is to help new bow builders.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:19:54 am »
Looks good,it is a lot of work but after a year or so the ones you taught will help out and lighten your load.As it gets bigger you have to have that,hard to handle over 4 or 5 at a time per. teacher/mentor.  :)We sure couldn't do it with out all our friends pitching in. :) You got a good start,I have found only about 1 in 5 keep the intrest and build more than one bow,so it is a slow process , you just have to keep doing it and you will finely get a good group. :) :) Good luck ,very worthy cause. Pass it on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:22 am »
Looks good,it is a lot of work but after a year or so the ones you taught will help out and lighten your load.As it gets bigger you have to have that,hard to handle over 4 or 5 at a time per. teacher/mentor.  :)We sure couldn't do it with out all our friends pitching in. :) You got a good start,I have found only about 1 in 5 keep the intrest and build more than one bow,so it is a slow process , you just have to keep doing it and you will finely get a good group. :) :) Good luck ,very worthy cause. Pass it on. :)
   Pappy
I would have been over my head if beadman did not come and help. Ed is a very good hearted guy that worked all day keeping them on point.  We divided the work so he was drawing lines and I was running the bandsaw.  We both ran from one person to the other trying to prevent them from going through a ring.  Toward the end we jump on the staves and doubled teamed a stave and chased a ring in about 15 mins.  That was the fastest I ever saw it done.  Jeff, Shannon and and a couple others at twin oaks once ran a ring so fast and at the time I thought it was impossible to ever do it so quick but with practice it is cake now.  These boys were go getters and I was very proud of them at the end of the day.  Part way through the day we had them teaching each other how to do different parts of the process.  It was a different but equally rewarding part of primitive archery to be passing on what others have given me.   Pat, Pappy, Jeff and Shannon, through me you made 4 people very happy yesterday. 

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 12:35:48 pm »
Good set of pics! Very rewarding endeavor and I commend your charitable spirit. Giving your time in so many ways is hard to do as a husband and dad. Those of us who know, understand.  ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 02:24:42 pm »
Yep they were an easy group to give direction to.Did'nt shirk any task in front of them with enough handiness of hand tools.Even a 4 and a 1/2 foot rat or bull snake came slithering by to join the fun.All the young bucks wanted blood,the older bucks seen enough blood.The snake ended up making his way back to the woods with his skin.LOL.John spoke up and said my land my snake,he lives on.Sure was a beauty though.We added a liitle coals to the fire of building a bow by having them shoot a few finished bows and that was enough.The imagination and ideas started appearing in their brain about shooting and hunting a self bow.Graicious of John for the wood.I see the Primitive Archer magazine did about the same thing with Marc St. Louis showing some people bow making in a barn with some elm wood.The beat goes on.LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed