Author Topic: Which field tips?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline gudspelr

Which field tips?
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:01:06 am »
What size field tips do you folks get for your bamboo arrows?  The diameter of the bamboo shaft material I have ranges in size-do I need to end up getting the different diameter tips and try matching them up?  Or do you get the medium or large size and just wrap behind them to make a smooth transition to the rest of the shaft if they're too big?  I got a little tapering tool, which I undersand they generally have a universal taper degree, so the different tips should still fit the taper...?  I'm planning on putting either bamboo skewers or hardwood inserts into the shafts to make them a bit stronger.  Thanks

Jeremy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Which field tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:07:38 am »
If using glue on tips mine usually take 5/16 field tips, 11/32 and 23/64 are normally to large. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:08 am »
I always use 5/16" parallel fit piles for field archery, here in the UK.  The bamboo shafts I use (from Mark in England, hi Mark!) do vary in diameter,  but I find that if you are careful you can slim them down by using a scraper or knife on the rind at the pile end.  Keep turning the shaft and the diameter reduces evenly for the pile to fit securely without cutting through many (if any) power fibres in the shaft.

I dont bother reinforcing the pile end of the shaft any more, although I have tried it with hardwood offcuts.  Most of the bamboo arrows I have bounced off trees or hit rocks with tend not to break at the pile, unlike pine or POC shafts I have also used.  The bamboo shafts tend to break only around the start of the fletching area, which seems to be a weak spot in all arrows in any case.

I do reinforce the nock end with a hardwood insert, and also wrap the nock area with button thread (or even red embroidery silk!) soaked in HMG.  Unless hit by another arrow these nocks seem really very tough.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:48:48 am by bobnewboy »
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:52:03 pm »
Thanks for the information, looks like I'll give the 5/16" a try.  I was thinking about putting skewers or hardwood on the nock ends for strength, too as well as wrapping.  I actually tried to find silk thread at a fabric store the other day, but the lady said no one carries it because it's so expensive.  I'm going to have to call around and see if I can find some...  Thanks again.

Jeremy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:37:52 am »
I used 11/32" on hill cane arrows. My cane shafts are about 5/16" at the nock end and 3/8" on the point end(29" to 30" long). I just grind a taper and glue on the point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:10:13 am »
Hi Jeremy,  well, when I say 'silk embroidery thread', I mean whatever it is that the stores sell these days as embroidery thread.  :D  It probably isnt real silk, but it is tough and available in a good range of colours.  The button thread that I also use is just a stronger version of normal sewing thread, and where I live is only available in a more limited colour range, so I tend to use black. 

It later occurred to me that you guys in the States probably wouldnt know HMG, which is what I use a fletching glue.  It is just a thin waterproof glue, and any other similar glue, or superglue would be just as good.  I varnish over the matrix of thread and glue (as well as the rest of the shaft) for a nicer finish, and also to help protect the arrow in our wet climate.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719