Author Topic: Primitive Gobbler Kill  (Read 8485 times)

Offline Flint Arrow

Primitive Gobbler Kill
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:30:17 pm »
Check out my Gobbler taken with 52 pound Osage bow and rivercane arrow. The bird weighted 19 pounds and was taken on Briar Creek in southeast Georgia. I also used a native bird point to shoot at the head
/neck region. I made the deer antler tine point with stone tools ...drilled out with stone drills and hafted using deer skin glue. The cross pegs of oak are there to increase my chances of getting a hit on the head/neck region, the most vulnerable region on a gobbler....the deer tine point hit the gobbler dead center at 17 yards and the gobbler was down for good. The heavy cane arrow broke his neck bone upon impact. I made my blind from natural brush and also used a real gobbler fan for a decoy. The bird walked to within inches of my fan. I believe he was confused because the gobbler fan did not have a body. He stood there with his head within inches of the fan until i shot. To make this even better it was filmed by the NWTF and should air on television in the future , just don't know when at this point. Also as a side note after taking this bird a learned about a deer tine point that was discovered on the Withlachoochee River. It looked just like the point i made and used to kill my bird. This point was discovered in a bone processing site ( Woodland Period ) that was preserved by natural means and the point was laying with leg bones and spurs from a gobbler

Offline Adam

Re: Primitive Gobbler Kill
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:57:53 pm »
Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »
I gotta say for your post you sure scored some big points here on Primitive Archery!!!  Whadya say folks?  Is he one of us?    ;D

You look like a historical re-enactor, too boot?  You do the rendezvous stuff or trekking, too?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 03:08:08 pm »
wow! primitive head shootin! im a big fan of your work thad, prooving to all our craft is deadly effective in skilled hands, i will definitly be making some of these points, once again you have taught me somthing and i havnt even met you. cant wait to do my own field testing with that point, it looks deadly

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »
 I don't do reenactments...but i do film most of my hunts and it is just cool to wear period dress when filming. My mom's family is part of the Family Tree DNA American Indian Q1a3a1 Haplogroup Project...which means they were dna tested to be native descent which is rare this far east. It is my way of connecting with my hunting past using a primitive bow and arrow and dressing the part ...also we shot this segment for television and the NWTF wanted the hunt to be as historic as possible. Besides it is a very good feeling to put on your braintan mocs and head out with your primitive bow and stonetipped arrows looking for game.

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 03:53:30 pm »
Thanks for the nice comments Barefoot....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:49:14 pm »
I imagine Randy Gaskins of the NWTF will appreciate this....he was raised in the rendezvous scene and loves historical re-enacting.  Oh, he also likes turkeys.

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:42:08 pm »
I don't know Randy...but i know Tom Hughes and Joe Mole who work at the NWTF headquarters in Edgefield S.C. Great fellows and  they are full of knowledge...i have hunted and fished with them for years.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 06:46:29 pm »
Randy is one of their Regional Directors out in the field.   And not a bad shot with a stickbow whenever he puts down a flintlock to pick one up!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:22:26 pm »
Congratulations! Always good to see one taken with primitive gear.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:27:51 pm »
wow man thats point is something else. nothin better than wearing clothes of old while hunting or anything
Modern Day Tramp

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 05:39:31 am »
Congratulations. If I lived in America (or anywhere where bow hunting is legal) I would be doing exactly the same as you. Good on you for keeping traditions alive. From what i've read on here head shots seems to be the way to go for these gobblers, I would love to have a go myself one day.

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »
Yes, its too bad that some people are controlled by ignorant government and officials ...it is a problem that is growing here in the land of the "free".  Sorry you are denied your rights to freedom.

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 01:10:42 pm »
Here are some examples of bird arrows that are capable of taking gobblers with neck/head shot. You can use some imagination and come up with many types that would work. These arrows are for short range shooting...average 15 yards or less and i would use semi flu-flu type feathers. The large feathers naturally help control the arrow better...you have alot up front to control. They will fly properly if build right. They would work very well for other type birds as well....
 I take care to make sure the pegs are level and balanced as possible. A heavy arrow helps also with being stable and punching power when it hits the bird. The only problem is getting close ..but that is our challenge with primitive archery anyway.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:41 am »
Very well done,love the points. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good