Author Topic: Pack for scouting and survival plus a shoulder bag for archery tools and parts  (Read 4673 times)

kurogane_84

hey all, im thinking of a survival/ scouting pack and this is a basic pack mind you, heres the contents in category form, if you have any suggestions or even any gripes with this let me know, my dad was a trapper and he always took a grub box and boil up box, but i want a more mobile setup

Pack
Tools - Sharpening stone
         - Files - Fine and coarse
         - # 18 Mason line or Tarred Bank line
         - 50 to 100 foot of nylon 1/4 inch line

Medical/ - 2 X tarps - 10 ' X 12"
Safety    - Dry clothes - Socks  - Wool socks - shirts - mitts - jacket
                                   - pants  - hat/ toque  - undies
              - utensils - fork - knife - spoon - wooden spoon
              - Wool Blanket or sleeping bag
              - Binocculars
              - Compass
              - TP
              - cooking pot
              - stainless steel water bottle
              - food general list of dry goods, corned beef, canned milk, tea and other misc things local trappers take
              - sewing kit
              - folding mirror
              - flash light and head lamp
              - batteries - flash light and head lamp
              - marking tape
Survival/ - Spool of fishing line 12 lb test
misc        - assorted hooks and weights

Now the shoulder bag and what i would wear on my belt

Tools - Sharpening tool - speedy sharp
         - 4 in 1 rasp
         - Multi tool
         - measuring tape - sewing roll up

Belt - Axe - 1/14 16 inch handle
       - survival knife - thick blade like a machete with saw on back, can be used as a spear head if needed
       - Sheathe knife - stainless steel Mora scout knife

Medical/ - First aid kit - misc supplies, gauze and plaster tape needed and mylar blanket
Safety    - Fire starting - water proof matches, cotton balls soaked with vasaline,  micro torch and butane
              - Bandanna - Orange, hand made

Survival/ - Nocks - push in
Archery/ - Broad heads - glue on, 125 Gr, 11/32
Hunting  - Trade points - simple steel shaped and sharpened ready to haft
              - Taper tool - pencil sharpener or taper V2
              - Nock tool
              - Hot melt glue sticks, HD
              - Sinew
              - Nylon beading thread
              - Prepared pine pitch
              - Feather chopper and spare blades - Pope and younge 5" and flu flu 6"
              - Rags
              - container to make char cloth in

Offline soy

• pm106221
I like to have 3 ways to start fire....waterproof matches, lighter ,steal match ...or some other such thing cotton +petroleum works good i also like to bring a magnesium brick as fire is one of the most important,also a whistle  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

kurogane_84

yah i got a whistle too, and yah i got matches, the cotton balls, patroleum jelly, and my mini torch i used for fizing arrow heads onto the shafts, i use it for the hot melt, and just generic things, it is airated so it dries out stuff then catches it :P

kurogane_84

oh yah and a magniesium starter too, you need to shave it down and strike it with the flint lol,  so other than that do you think its a good set up for a trappers bag, its a BIG bag my dad used on the trap lines, it holds clothes for a family of 6 LOL

Offline carpentertimw

if your bag is big enough you ought to have a takedown bow and a few arrows along also. that is a lot of stuff for a basic survival pack though. :o

kurogane_84

I call it bacis cause my dad always carried this plus a cooler box, packed with food and thinkg like cups, a kettle, and all sorts of goodies LOL, i have a long bow i would be carrying and some arrows aswell, the back pack is mostly for the bulk of it, and the shoulder bag is my archery tools and supplies, i was thinking about converting my CX Heritage 250 shafts into some 3 piece, i have 3 with Zwickey broadheads and 4 with bullet points, i had a doz but im going to make some trade point shafts with some small birches or willows.

any advice on what i should take out or add to the kit, either the back pack or the shoulder bag, i would like to travel as light as possible but knowing be ill have a 20 lb pack LOL

Offline carpentertimw

i would swap the wool blanket or sleeping bag for a foil space blanket and i would take out the flu-flu chopper out, all you need to do for flu-flus is cut full height feathers however long you want your flu-flus to be. also what is TP?

kurogane_84

i would swap the wool blanket or sleeping bag for a foil space blanket and i would take out the flu-flu chopper out, all you need to do for flu-flus is cut full height feathers however long you want your flu-flus to be. also what is TP?

i was thinking bout removing them cause i was based at my cabin, and tp is toilet paper :P i also put rags in incase i needed em, and yah i was thinking bout the flu flus too, id have the blade only tho, not a full cutter, the p n y would be the full

Offline carpentertimw

if this is for a survival setup you could just use a burning stick to burn the feathers to shape instead of a chopper. after all it doesn't have to look pretty. ;) also where is the bic lighter? >:D those micro torches sure are nice for glue-on points though. :)

Offline mcginnis6010

If ya got cattails near you then get some of last years heads and put them in a ziplock bag. they are a great fire starter an you can carry an ember in them so you will have a better chance to start a fire. i carry them in my pack just in case.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

kurogane_84

if this is for a survival setup you could just use a burning stick to burn the feathers to shape instead of a chopper. after all it doesn't have to look pretty. ;) also where is the bic lighter? >:D those micro torches sure are nice for glue-on points though. :)

the bic lighter is there and yes they are great, i use mine for almost everything LOL, and true its not needed but its kind of a luxury id like to have along LOL, just for the hell of it :P

If ya got cattails near you then get some of last years heads and put them in a ziplock bag. they are a great fire starter an you can carry an ember in them so you will have a better chance to start a fire. i carry them in my pack just in case.

No cat tails around but there are some ear fungus i think they are called, i just called em the widows back braces, cause around here they are on the dead trees, the widow makers

Offline carpentertimw

your kit looks good to me, with the changes i suggested at least. >:D

kurogane_84

your kit looks good to me, with the changes i suggested at least. >:D
HAHAHAHAH yes and im still thinking a thin sleeping bag just cause i need one when i go out in tent and such LOL, but yes the bic lighter and the other items are included :P, my dad has a OLD back pack from the 40s or 50s, he has never let me carry it cause it always had enough stuff for a family of 6 ppl, but now im going to pack it for myself :) and im packing some ice fishing hooks incase i walk to a river north of me and can get on a fallen tree with it, or for winter never knows :P and thank you kind sir

Offline stickbender

I would keep the wool blanket, and get a Mylar space blanket, they are extremely light.  Also would include a nylon roll up hammock, which can be used as an emergency back pack, and a fish net.  Also, some hydrogen peroxide, and definitely some Australian Tea Tree Oil.  It is the strongest anti bacterial, and anti fungal medicine you can buy over the counter.  Make sure it is 100% Tea tree oil, some brands put alcohol in it.  Also, for your fire starter kit, add, a small bottle of hand sanitizer, it will light with minimal spark, and add a couple of small rolls of fine steel wool.  You an get it at Harbor Freight, cheap.  As for nifty knifes, I am not a big fan of SOG brand knives, but they do have a great little folding knife, call Tool Logic, and it has a whistle in the grip, and a Spark bar on the back of the handle and an elongated hole on the back of the blade for ease of opening, and several notches, on the back, to use on to strike the sparking bar.  The blade is sharp, and will take and hold a very sharp edge, it has a small section that is serrated.  They also make one with a light, and now they have one with the sparking bar, "and" a small LED light.  The sparking bar is quite bright, and can be used as a signaling device, and it will set note book paper on fire, with just the sparks from it.  I would also include a leather awl/stitcher, with extra waxed thread.  Also a couple of small bars of pure bees wax.  It comes in handy, in a number of ways, sealing leaking seams, making sap glue, coating small sticks for aid in starting wet, or damp wood, etc.  Also include about four large heavy duty contractor grade trash bags.  Can be used for rain coats, tied around the feet, for crossing streams, slit open, for water proof shelter, carrying water, and whole lot of other things.  Not to mention using them for stuff you want to stay dry.  I would keep the wool blanket, and socks, and add a wool shirt, light jacket, sweater, etc. and pants if you have them, being that even wet, they will keep you warm.  Also add some small spoons to your fishing supply, and get some Pro line 25-30 pound fishing line, it is as small in diameter as 10-12 lb. mono filament, you can use it for a number of things like a new bow string, stitching, or sewing clothes, footwear, back pack, use it for snares, etc.  Sounds more like a bug out bag, than a survival bag. ;)

Wayne

kurogane_84

I would keep the wool blanket, and get a Mylar space blanket, they are extremely light.  Also would include a nylon roll up hammock, which can be used as an emergency back pack, and a fish net.  Also, some hydrogen peroxide, and definitely some Australian Tea Tree Oil.  It is the strongest anti bacterial, and anti fungal medicine you can buy over the counter.  Make sure it is 100% Tea tree oil, some brands put alcohol in it.  Also, for your fire starter kit, add, a small bottle of hand sanitizer, it will light with minimal spark, and add a couple of small rolls of fine steel wool.  You an get it at Harbor Freight, cheap.  As for nifty knifes, I am not a big fan of SOG brand knives, but they do have a great little folding knife, call Tool Logic, and it has a whistle in the grip, and a Spark bar on the back of the handle and an elongated hole on the back of the blade for ease of opening, and several notches, on the back, to use on to strike the sparking bar.  The blade is sharp, and will take and hold a very sharp edge, it has a small section that is serrated.  They also make one with a light, and now they have one with the sparking bar, "and" a small LED light.  The sparking bar is quite bright, and can be used as a signaling device, and it will set note book paper on fire, with just the sparks from it.  I would also include a leather awl/stitcher, with extra waxed thread.  Also a couple of small bars of pure bees wax.  It comes in handy, in a number of ways, sealing leaking seams, making sap glue, coating small sticks for aid in starting wet, or damp wood, etc.  Also include about four large heavy duty contractor grade trash bags.  Can be used for rain coats, tied around the feet, for crossing streams, slit open, for water proof shelter, carrying water, and whole lot of other things.  Not to mention using them for stuff you want to stay dry.  I would keep the wool blanket, and socks, and add a wool shirt, light jacket, sweater, etc. and pants if you have them, being that even wet, they will keep you warm.  Also add some small spoons to your fishing supply, and get some Pro line 25-30 pound fishing line, it is as small in diameter as 10-12 lb. mono filament, you can use it for a number of things like a new bow string, stitching, or sewing clothes, footwear, back pack, use it for snares, etc.  Sounds more like a bug out bag, than a survival bag. ;)

Wayne

HAHAHAHAHAHHA yes man kind of a bug out bag, i was thinking incase im traveling down a local road, it has nothing for over 300 KM each way and id be left to self reliance, and i might leave the blanket, maybe, but id like a small sleeping bag none the less and  in my assorted hooks i do have some small spoons, and most of the items you have told me have been added into the new list, thanks for the input Wayne, and it took me 30 mins to read mother kept bugging me about a movie im not even watching LOL