Author Topic: first 4 points(now 5)  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
first 4 points(now 5)
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »
 in truth i made three before these(but they broke before they were finished,) but i literally had NO clue what i was doing. These 4 were made in 2 days after i watched paleomanjim and practical primitive on youtube. in the pictures there are 3 other points (stone) that i traded for or bought. the ones i made are glass. i dont have a readily available source of stone but i have a pile of glass bricks that my mom picked op w/ the intention to do the bathroom with them but that was 4 years ago ::)...moms ;). i only used a peice of white tail antler (pressure & precussion), a hammer to break the bricks, and a unflattened 16d duplex that was lying around for notching

i can take the criticism, but please consider that these are my first 4 points
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:23:35 am by Youngboyer2 »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: first 4 points
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:35:57 pm »
Criticise?  Not me, my first points look a lot like those...and I for sure didn't use antler. :)  Keep on making points, they'll get better as you learn more about how rock (and glass) chips.  Good work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:42:17 pm »
dang son those look pretty good to me, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:52:12 pm »
Thanks George,
Thanks bubby, it really means a lot.

I got rid of the pics of the Pre YouTube points, they made the post confusing and now that I have success I don't need to post my failures

To clarify, the only points that I made are the glass ones, the chert and obsidian point(w/o wire) are
From a trade with bowtarist.

the obsidian point with the wire wrap is from a flintknapper that I met on my boyscout boating trip(seabase), we stopped at keywest mid week on the trip and while my friends were buying candy and trinkets that wouldn't last, I got a awesome obsidian arrowhead, I really wish I could thank that guy again  he piqued my interest in flintknapping, he was selling some of the coolest things at the sunset festival but nobody else seemed to see it.
Heck, maybe he is a member of PA and he will comment on this, now wouldn't that be cool.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:33:19 am by Youngboyer2 »
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »
Darn good start. Keep at it!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 10:06:14 pm »
You want some critizem ? Ok the flake scars will show up a little better w/ some blood on them. Seriously? Them are fine newbie points. Knap-On! Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 12:40:52 am »
Good lookin points!!  Keep it up.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 12:45:06 am »
Tower, the blood is on my pressure flaker and believe me, there was plenty, thank you all for you compliments. I think I will try some micro serrations, if it don't break on me I will post a pic in 10-15 minutes.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 01:05:36 am »
Looking good to me, I probably made 20 points before I ever tried notching one.You are doing great !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 01:17:50 am »
well, did i make the time limit?(I knapped in time but posting pix took just as long)

tried a few different camera angles so you guys could see the serrations, it was tough to capture with an ipod camera.
hope you guys like it.
and as always i can take the criticism... dont hold back ;)

and thanks sparrow, getting compliments from all you awesome knappers is making me feel all warm and fuzzy, while im cold and covered in glass bits ;D

once i actually hammer a nail out i think that i will try some different style notches that go deeper and from the bottom of the head.

i forgot to mention that both notches stalled, but i think that they should be deep enough, right?

if you cant see the serrations just say so and i will snap some more pics
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:12:02 am by Youngboyer2 »

Re: first 4 points(now 5)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 02:20:52 am »
Hope that everyone can make out the serrated edge, enjoy

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »
Was wondering, is there anything besides previous thinningthat you can do to fix stalled notches

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 08:13:53 pm »
I don't know how well it works on glass, but I've used a small diamond file to restart a stalled notch with flint.

George
St Paul, TX

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 01:44:21 am »
I cd see that wrking w/ glass, thanks. And since nobody is saying nuthin I will ask, what do you guys think of that serrated point

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 08:32:02 am »
Nothing wrong with your points YB2. Good job

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956