Author Topic: My #1 Is Dead  (Read 3883 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: My #1 Is Dead
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 09:33:46 am »
Blackhawk, start another right away. LOL. That's what I do. I've had 3 head plunkers at full draw...2 drew blood. One was a failed t stick. Bow ok. Still have it. T stick got burned in the fireplace. Another was a poorly chosen board when I thought "grain" grew in the fields.  The other was a nice BL bow that had a naturally reflexed area  on the bottom limb that I thinned too much. Taught me to narrow those areas that became too thin if they needed bending. There must have been others but those are the memorable ones because they happened at full draw. Come to think of it there were others that broke at full draw but these went flying about.  I was looking at a BBO over the weekend that started to chrysal under a knot. Seems a perfect piece of osage is in order. I think I've had one of those. Made a nice selfie. I gave the bow to someone who decided to "improve" it. He was not a bowyer. It broke. Too bad for him. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 10:45:01 pm »
When it rains it pours bro.  It's bad enough hearing the break without getting hit in the head.  I'm sure an even sweeter replacement will come along soon enough.  At least you have 10,000 others to play with until then.  :)  Hope the sun comes out for you soon buddy!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 11:18:17 pm »
Looks more like a glue failure

Yea, that's what I was thinking too.
Gordon

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 03:58:52 am »
Looks more like a glue failure

Yea, that's what I was thinking too.

Me too.
Sorry to hear about if B.Hawk but at least you don't have a hole in the head!

Offline mississippidave

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 11:47:17 am »
Just saw this.......Bummer......

Offline coaster500

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:34 pm »
Ouch!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Hamish

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 09:55:02 pm »
From what I can see it doesn't look like it was the cluster of pins, as I can't see any chrysalling. You would normally see a progressive deterioration of chrysalling, then evidence of a hinge at that point until it finally broke. The bow would be giving you increasingly noticable warning signs, rather than a sudden snap out of the blue.

Could be like Marc and some of the others have suggested, a glue or shear failure near the glue line. The break is at the most stressed area on a deflex reflexed bow.

Hamish.

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 09:50:39 am »
Hmmmm??...i cant argue with several great minds saying the same thing...your all prob right then,and after the boo lifted the weakest point was at the knots at the reflexed area(higher stressed spot).......ahhhhh(sigh)....it just gives me another reason to dislike glue ups,although i like the looks,end results,and the performance of them.......im not done with them yet,and ill try some more.....

Offline rps3

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 05:48:11 pm »
Well you will obviuosly make more and better bows, good luck with the other things harder to control.