Author Topic: A quickun, for me anyway (pyramid bow): done, but not quick;)  (Read 7766 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: A quickun, for me anyway (pyramid bow): setback-- split a nock:(
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 08:14:54 pm »
Finally got'r done.  She was "quick" getting from raw lumber to tiller, much less than quick on finishing out.  Here's the details:

She's hickory with a thin linen backing (due to a worrisome swirl, though she coulda done without), and a camo backing over that for cosmetics (never like the way my linen looks).  Heartwood hickory tip overlays, hick and mahogany lam stack for the handle.  "Natural" stain with poly and wax over that.  Here's some pics.

(excuse the ugly model;)

55ish# at 28+", 68"ttt
Hope y'all like.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: A quickun, for me anyway (pyramid bow): done, but not quick;)
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 09:23:28 pm »
Great looking bow and great tiller!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 08:16:04 am »
Very nice, I particularly enjoyed the exploding nock!  >:D
Good roughing out on the table saw tip. I have a chunk of Ash left from making my computer desk, so I might try a board bow sometime and use that method as I've never done one.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 10:00:15 am »
Thanks George and Del, heavy compliments coming from you guys ;D

Tiller was kinda weird.  It's about 1/16-1/8" NEGATIVE at brace, but evens out at full draw (that is, the bottom is stiffer on the tree at full draw, which evens out in the hand).  Never had that happen.

Careful with the table saw dude.  She's a blessing and a curse!  I've used it once since this one, and marked lines so it would cut in an even fade.  Worked beautifully till i got careless and went too far on one cut :-[

Glad YOU enjoyed the exploding nock ;)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:08 am »
Nice job on that hickory, for sure! The camo is cool!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 10:12:03 am »
Nice bow, looks very even and balanced. Does not look like it was made quickly at all.
Don't shoot!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 11:29:28 am »
The overlay failure was due to wrong grain orientation; year ring should run lengthwise perpendicular to the bow's back.

Nice bow, tiller looks good!
Frank from Germany...

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 12:38:25 pm »
Great looking hunting bow.

Isn't it tough to see grain in the central american hardwoods?  I thought most of them weren't ring porous.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline k-hat

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »
Thanks Joducus and Lesken, appreciate the kind words.  Thanks medicine, found that out the hard way on the overlay.  I did reapply the same wood in the right orientation, still wouldn't hold together, so i used hickory as dark as i had to give a little contrast.  Note to self for future:  mahogany good for handle lams, bad for nocks ::)

Thanks Tom, hope she gets a deer or two ... she's heavy enuf!  Can't answer your question though as i'm still learning the woods myself!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 04:06:13 pm »
One correction i need to clear up.  I did try the camo paper but didn't like the result.  Since the coloration is only on the surface of the paper, you get a nice white outline around the edge when you trim.  Not good for the woods!!  Tried many fixes and finally just rippd it off and found some camo fabric from wally world.  Worked better but then you have to deal with the tendency of cotton to fray at the edge.  I soaked the edge with super glue before final trim, and again before several coats of poly.  I think it'll hold out as long as it's treated well, but we'll see!!